Helix is a company dedicated to making DNA testing accessible for everyone. The company’s team and scientific advisory board firmly believe that every person, after unlocking their genetic data, can make more informed decisions regarding their health, nutrition, fitness, and other aspects of their lives.
Helix strives to empower every individual to improve their life through DNA. Your biological information can move you toward a different lifestyle if properly explored. If you’re interested in learning more about the company and its never-ending mission of helping all of humanity lead better lives, read this Helix review and uncover all the secrets locked in your DNA.
How Helix Works
Helix’s sequencing protocol includes the following steps:
Ordering a product – The entire process begins by you visiting the Helix Store on the official website and ordering your first product. Helix offers a wide variety of different testing options, including ancestry, family, fitness, health, nutrition, and entertainment.
Receiving your personal test kit – After receiving your order, Helix will send you its DNA testing kit designed to collect and store your DNA sample and protect it on its way to the lab. Don’t forget to register your kit on the official website so the company can connect it to your DNA results.
Collecting your DNA sample – Helix uses saliva to extract and sequence your DNA. The test kit comes with a small saliva container with a funnel on top for easier collection. You’ll also get a comprehensive set of instructions, but if you’re still unclear on how to proceed, you can find a detailed step-by-step manual on the website. Just make sure not to eat or drink anything for at least half an hour before sample collection.
Sending the sample back – With your DNA sample secured within the provided container, you can send it back to the lab for further processing. Helix DNA test kit comes with a prepaid box, so you won’t have to worry about any additional charges.
Getting the results – Once Helix experts sequence your DNA, you’ll unlock a whole marketplace of different products personalized to you by your own DNA signature. Depending on the product you’ve ordered, Helix will share a small portion of the received data with its partners so they can generate the requested insights. Once your results are ready, you’ll receive a direct email notification.
Discovering again and again – DNA sequencing is just the first step toward exploring everything Helix has to offer. If, for example, you ordered a fitness-related DNA test, now you can explore your ancestry by using the results received during the initial sequencing. Also, Helix is a platform designed to follow new scientific breakthroughs, so your results will be regularly updated in the years to come.
Why Choose Helix
Here are some of the most convincing reasons why you should opt for Helix:
- Reputable investors (Illumina, KPCB, DFJ, Sutter Hill Ventures, Mayo Clinic, Warburg Pincus…)
- CLIA and CAP-accredited genomics laboratory
- Excellent team of scientists, PhDs, and genetic counselors
- Every product is reviewed by experts
- Multitude of different products
- Around 22,000 genes checked during sequencing
- Free updates
- Possibility of purchasing your raw DNA data
Helix features numerous partners and offers all the testing solutions from their portfolios in its online store. To facilitate navigation, all the tests are separated into corresponding categories. So, let’s take a look at what each category includes.
Helix offers the following options for ancestry exploration:
- Geno 2.0 by National Geographic (99.95$) – National Geographic’s ancestry test will help you discover numerous details about your ancestral makeup and the migration patterns of your ancient ancestors.
- Neanderthal by Insitome (109.99$) – The test is designed to tell you which unique traits you inherited from your Neanderthal ancestors. These include things like skin color, muscle growth, and cognitive ability.
- Regional Ancestry by Insitome (109.99$) – This test will explore your ancestral origins and place your DNA within a specific regional ancestry cluster.
- Metabolism by Insitome (109.99$) – With this test, you can discover whether you’re genetically predisposed to be a farmer or a hunter. The test will explore and explain the traits you have today, from lactose intolerance to fat synthesis.
The family testing tree contains two options:
- CarrierCheck by SEMA4 (279.00$) – This test is designed to predict how your DNA signature may affect your future children and family. The test screens for 67 inherited conditions.
- Breast Milk DHA+ by EverlyWell (169.00$) – With this testing option, you can learn how much DHA your breast milk contains and whether your genetic makeup affects the amount of DHA received by your baby.
Here are some of the testing options in this category:
- Fitness Diet Pro by DNAFit (299.99$) – You can get a perfect insight into your genetic response to nutrition and fitness. The results will help you create personalized workout and nutrition plans to fit your genetics.
- Muscle Builder by DNAFit (199.99$) – The test was designed to help you create a personalized training program based on your genetics.
- Fat Burner by DNAFit (199.99$) – After determining your genetic response to exercise, this test will provide you with a 12-week DNA-guided training program designed for optimal fat loss.
- EnduranceDNA by Carmichael Training Systems (179.99$) – The results of this test will help you train more effectively, prevent injury, and improve your overall nutrition. It provides endurance athletes with precise genetic insights and actionable recommendations.
The health-related testing branch offers the following solutions:
- Inherited Diabetes Test by Admera Health (229.99$) – The test is designed to accurately detect and diagnose a rare inherited form of diabetes. The final results will allow your physician to treat your diabetes more effectively.
- Inherited Cholesterol Test by Admera Health (204.99$) – This test can enable you to learn whether you are genetically predisposed to developing familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) and avoid premature cardiovascular disease.
Here are some of the most interesting options in this category:
- Food Sensitivity+ by EverlyWell (329.00$) – You can discover all about your body’s sensitivity to certain foods and how your genetics may impact your ability to digest certain nutrients.
- EmbodyDNA by Lose It! (69.99$) – You can learn how to align your food and exercise habits with your genetic traits.
- GoalGetter by InsideTracker (340.00$) – With this test, you can identify goals that fit your genes and follow a personalized action plan that provides you with nutrition recommendations based on your genetics.
- Metabolism+ by EverlyWell (229.00$) – This test can help you keep your hormone levels in check and learn how your genetics influence your metabolism, weight, and energy.
With the aim of showing that DNA testing can also be fun, Helix offers several options in this category, including DNAPassport by Human Code (49.99$), ACGTote by Dot One (144.99$), Wine Explorer by Vinome (109.99$), SlumberType by Exploragen (94.99$), and many others.
Privacy And Security
Helix collects the following information:
- Account and personal demographic info – This includes your account information (name, date of birth, email address, sex, phone number, payment info, and the password you create) and self-reported information (age, personal and family medical history, behavioral information, physical features…).
- Genetic information – This refers to your biological sample.
- Computer, device, and browsing information – Helix collects data such as your IP address, operating system, and device or browser type, as well as your interaction with the official website.
The company will use any sensitive data only with your explicit consent and some information (that can’t identify you) to provide and improve its services. It’ll never share, lease or sell your info to unauthorized third parties.
Shipping And Handling
Helix currently ships only within the US (Alaska and Hawaii included), but it’s working on expanding its reach to other parts of the world as well. Once you’ve placed your order on the official website, it’ll take between 3 and 5 business days for your test kit to arrive, but it may take up to 10 depending on your location. Helix also provides standard shipping to P.O. boxes, but expedited shipping is reserved for regular addresses. You’ll see all the available shipping options during checkout from the Helix Store.
Once your DNA kit leaves the warehouse, you’ll receive an email confirmation with a tracking link included. When you send your DNA sample back, you’ll also receive an email confirmation once it arrives at the lab.
We see Helix as a veritable testing hub that brings a multitude of renowned DNA testing companies together and joins their offers into an impressive testing portfolio. After performing a single sequencing operation, you are exposed to an overwhelming amount of different testing solutions for just a fraction of the regular cost. The company features an impressive list of investors and experts in the fields relevant for its business. Every single test is reviewed by professionals to make sure it meets a pretty rigorous set of criteria. The processing facilities have all the necessary certifications and are used by many smaller companies as well. Bottom line, as seen in the previous sections of this Helix review, this is a one-of-a-kind DNA testing company and we can’t recommend it enough. A single DNA sequencing effort performed pretty much from your home will open up new vistas of your genetic composition and allow you to really get to know yourself from within.
We see Helix as a veritable testing hub that brings a multitude of renowned DNA testing companies together and joins their offers into an impressive testing portfolio. After performing a single sequencing operation, you are exposed to an overwhelming amount of different testing solutions for just a fraction of the regular cost.
The company features an impressive list of investors and experts in the fields relevant for its business. Every single test is reviewed by professionals to make sure it meets a pretty rigorous set of criteria. The processing facilities have all the necessary certifications and are used by many smaller companies as well.
Bottom line, as seen in the previous sections of this Helix review, this is a one-of-a-kind DNA testing company and we can’t recommend it enough. A single DNA sequencing effort performed pretty much from your home will open up new vistas of your genetic composition and allow you to really get to know yourself from within.
Very easy process! I like knowing that the result of taking one test opens the doors to many other results in the future. You are not forced to get results for things you are not interested in. As funds become available, or your interests and concerns change over time, you may elect to get those results from a variety of vendors without the hassle of another test. As a whole genetic testing, our knowledge of total genetics, and a global database to compare and evaluate with is still in its infancy. Some may find they don’t get enough information or as much as they were hoping for when getting a DNA test. Electing to take part in something like this and share your information helps to build a foundation for future generations to benefit from. I think it is great to be a part of this step in our evolution of understanding, and fun to learn about ourselves with our current level of understanding.
It is awesome that you can just click and order a DNA testing kit to arrive at your doorstep, I’d never consider doing something like this if I had to go to the doctor’s office and have a bunch of tests done. Anyways I’ve read on Helix website that they offer a test for losing fat along with a personal training regime and I had to try it. When I just think of all the gym memberships and weight-loss books and other stuff I’ve bought and I’ve only paid 200$ for this test and seen results after just a few days, I don’t know if I should feel happy or start crying 😀
I recently found out I was pregnant and my doctor actually suggested that I do the carrier check test just to be sure considering I’m still not that far along. It was scary for me to think that something could potentially be wrong with my DNA and that I could transfer it to my children but it’s better to be safe than sorry. The test kit was easy to figure out and I like that it only takes a saliva sample because I’ scared of giving blood. My doctor assured me that Halifax staff is more than qualified and that I will get precise information which is nice to hear especially from a doctor you trust. I always relly on people I trust and their recommendations.
I decide on Helix once I’ve seen it offers separate tests for each category like if I’m only interested in what food I’m allergic to I don’t have to take a whole package containing other tests I don’t really need and also can afford. For example I ordered the Food Sensitivity+ by EverlyWell to see how my body handles certain types of food because I’ve been having problems with digesting milk and milk products in general for the past couple of years so I wanted to see if I became lactose intolerant which I heard can happen at a certain point even if I wasn’t born with it.
I have been trying to access my account over a week without success. I have emailed them without a response. The chat help is never online. Are they still in business?
I am not satisfied with my results at all , it was just a waist of money . I am mixed my mother is Mediterranean , and her mother my (grandmother ) is European such as German( the last name is pitzenbarger) , Norwegian , French . My father is African American and Native American (Choctaw) ancestry his mother looks very mixed . My results that I received were 49% western Africa , Northwestern Europe 18%, Northeastern Europe 10%, Southwestern Europe 10% ,Eastern Africa 4% , Eastern Europe 2% , Italy & Southern Europe 2%. yes, I know my results show that I am Black, white , and some Mediterranean that something I already knew , I really wanted to know exactly what am I. Know I have to do some research and do some more digging . I am not happy with Helix and / or with Geno 2.o .
Very disappointed to find out that the Helix test for Geno 2.0 does not transfer to Family Tree DNA. I can see nothing on their site that would indicate that you will get any SNP results like the old version of the data from Geno 2.30
waste of money, doesn’t tell you much that you already know
Rip off!! Paid $165.00 for the kit. They ask health questions. Told me I would have to buy extra to get results. They would not do my dna. Ask for money back, the deducted 10.00 for shipping. I think it’s a scam!! I give it zero stars!
Helix is an amazing company for discovering more about yourself through your DNA. I am more than satisfied with what the value I received for my money. However, the company (and its partners) really needs to work on speeding up test processing times. I waited for my results for 2 months, which was frustrating, to say the least. Other than that, it is a flawless service and you will not regret using it for your DNA explorations.
Helix is a good company with partnerships with all the famous brands in the industry. I chose to do an ancestry test via Helix because I wanted easy access to other information from my DNA – which is exactly what I got. The whole procedure is fast and easy to follow, and I received my results sooner than I expected. Honest recommendation.
Sent my sample in early May, it is now August 19 and still cannot access results. I have contacted both Helix and Insitome, followed all instructions and it is not working. I was told I could print out the things I want but, if I can not access it, I can not print it out. I am told it is working on their end and thats great, does me no good though. I have nothing good to say.
Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don’t do it the ground shipping is faster
Complaint to Helix with response
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM
Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix’s hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping.
Helix Customer Care
My response to Helix
I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
Can’t believe this! I just did the test and all of a sudden, I can order a bunch more without having to do pretty much anything.
Great choice, great prices, superb service!
The kit took a while to arrive but it was smooth sailing from there.
Great tests! I just did the one for hereditary diabetes (dodged a bullet there) and I’ll def do a bunch more.