After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Helix and AncestryDNA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Helix and AncestryDNA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Processing laboratories with CLIA & CAP accreditations
- Impressive variety of different DNA testing solutions
- Experienced team of scientists and genetic advisors
- Price: $59.99
- AncestryDNA database contains over 4 million registered users
- Possibility of raw DNA data download for further application
- The test checks 700,000 genetic markers within your genome
- Price: $99.00
- Shipping:35 Countries
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By David Kiehl on 03/24/2018Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don't do it the ground shipping is faster Complaint to Helix with response "Dang Lu
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM Hello David, Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix's hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping. Thank you, Dang Lu Helix Customer Care My response to Helix I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
- Submitted By Ian Black on 03/11/2018Can't believe this! I just did the test and all of a sudden, I can order a bunch more without having to do pretty much anything.
- Submitted By Jayna Moore on 01/27/2018Great choice, great prices, superb service!
- Submitted By Jake Thomas on 12/22/2017The kit took a while to arrive but it was smooth sailing from there.
- Submitted By Eve Rogerson on 06/06/2018I think a lot of people turn to AncestryDNA expecting some magical DNA analysis only to end up with more questions. After centuries of marriages/couplings there is no way you can find exactly where your DNA traces back to. For example, with the European DNA, we simply saw western European but there are so many countries there and the people that lived in those countries moved and migrated and mixed with others, that mixed with even more. It would be impossible to directly trace that. Also, If you know anything at all about DNA, you would know that you get a random 50% from each parent...each child will carry a different trait or amount of a trait per parent. For me trying to trace the DNA of my father and I, gave me a few surprising details but our full ethnicity but his was vastly different from my own. After he was matched as my father and he found an older half brother, we opted out of further matching. Having that option gives me something to look forward to in the future but not right now...I don't like surprises and definitely couldn't handle any new additions to our small family.
- Submitted By George c pospisil on 06/03/2018Very disappointing. Results for me... Western Europe, eastern Europe; for my wife from Lebanon, middle eastern. Really? Tell us something specific we didn't know. For example, how many countries are in western Europe? Poor waste of money and spit.
- Submitted By L. E> on 06/03/2018They lie like a rug on a continual basis. I am supposedly to start researching my family members based on information that I have, UH NO. It is so loaded down with federal restraints. I am not impressed. Looking for a backup company to get accurate results for I have my doubts that anything will be of use for me. I have talked to corporate so much and I am very underwhelmed with this company. I am so over calling this company. Go elsewhere!
- Submitted By Beverly Boyd on 05/19/2018Easy as pie, just spit in a tube, mail it, and wait for your results. My results came back pretty quickly (around 4 weeks), which is nothing when you realize I had to wait 3 months with one other company. Oh, and my results were 99% what I expected them to be. I especially liked the fact that you can track your test from the moment of activation all the way to your final report.
AncestryDNA offers one of the best and most precise ancestry DNA tests on the market, paired with an active online community and billions of historical records to complement your exploration. Learn more about its complete offer in our objective AncestryDNA review.