After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Helix and 23andMe are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Helix and 23andMe, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Processing laboratories with CLIA & CAP accreditations
- Impressive variety of different DNA testing solutions
- Experienced team of scientists and genetic advisors
- Price: $59.99
- Health reports show potential for hereditary conditions
- 570,000 genetic markers checked within Ancestry Service
- Company Database contains around 2 million registered users
- Price: $99.00
- Shipping:Worldwide (Not Available In All Countries)
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Patricia T. on 09/05/2018Helix is an amazing company for discovering more about yourself through your DNA. I am more than satisfied with what the value I received for my money. However, the company (and its partners) really needs to work on speeding up test processing times. I waited for my results for 2 months, which was frustrating, to say the least. Other than that, it is a flawless service and you will not regret using it for your DNA explorations.
- Submitted By Dennis Bell on 08/25/2018Helix is a good company with partnerships with all the famous brands in the industry. I chose to do an ancestry test via Helix because I wanted easy access to other information from my DNA - which is exactly what I got. The whole procedure is fast and easy to follow, and I received my results sooner than I expected. Honest recommendation.
- Submitted By Donna Hoffman on 08/19/2018Sent my sample in early May, it is now August 19 and still cannot access results. I have contacted both Helix and Insitome, followed all instructions and it is not working. I was told I could print out the things I want but, if I can not access it, I can not print it out. I am told it is working on their end and thats great, does me no good though. I have nothing good to say.
- Submitted By David Kiehl on 03/24/2018Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don't do it the ground shipping is faster Complaint to Helix with response "Dang Lu
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM Hello David, Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix's hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping. Thank you, Dang Lu Helix Customer Care My response to Helix I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
- Submitted By Anna Bennett on 09/02/2018My daughter bought me this test and I was amazed (to say the least) to learn of my origins! It looks like I'm mostly from Europe. Fascinating!
- Submitted By Havier Torres on 08/27/201823 and me is the best DNA testing company there is. I love researching my ancestry and did a couple of tests with other famous companies - my experience with 23 and me has been the best so far. Apart from learning a lot about my heritage, I also received a health report - this is something only 23 and me provides. The test gives great value for the money spent and I plan on buying it as a Christmas gift to my family.
- Submitted By D. Collins on 08/19/2018This has been an amazing experience. I learned so much and had a lot of fun along the way. Thank you!
- Submitted By Sharon on 08/16/2018I selected 23 and me for DNA testing because two friends had used this company, and they recommended it. Even though the quoted time is approximately 6-8 weeks, theirs was completed in approximately 4 weeks. My experience has been less satisfactory. My sample was mailed in June, and notification was received 2 days later stating the sample had been received and testing was underway. For 5 weeks, my status remained at the point where they were reading the chip. Although this seemed like an unrealistic time, I assumed they simply were not updating my account the first few weeks. After 5 weeks at the same stage, I surmised that the company was either a scam or they have inept employees. I had entered our contract in good will and completed a gamut of questions so my results could be used to further research. As a research scientist, the company had lost all credibility and I would never trust them to participate in ethical research. I changed my status, disallowing the company to use my DNA results for any type of research. Then I received an e-mail stating that my results would be delayed a few more weeks because of a computer upgrade. In the meantime, I began reading reviews. Some customers who submitted their DNA after mine was submitted had already received their results. Others had received a message regarding the additional delay due to computer delay. It's been almost 2 months since the notification that they received my sample. There has been no change in the status of my sample. I have wasted $200. Since the company has not lived up to the advertisement, and have proven to be untrustworthy, any results they provide in the future will be suspect. My intent had been to give these kits to friends and family at Christmas. Now that it has become evident that 23 and me is not a reputable company, I will research other companies who provide this service.
23andMe is an impressive DNA testing provider featuring a staggering user count, paired with cutting-edge tools for chromosome browsing, biogeographical ancestry analysis, and health-related results. Read all about this exceptional service in our detailed 23andMe review.