After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Helix and Living DNA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Helix and Living DNA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Processing laboratories with CLIA & CAP accreditations
- Impressive variety of different DNA testing solutions
- Experienced team of scientists and genetic advisors
- Price: $59.99
- 80 world regions covered, including 21 in the British Isles
- 15-fold analysis of 650,000 genetic markers in your genome
- Free shipping and result updates; raw DNA data download
- Price: $156.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Patricia T. on 09/05/2018Helix is an amazing company for discovering more about yourself through your DNA. I am more than satisfied with what the value I received for my money. However, the company (and its partners) really needs to work on speeding up test processing times. I waited for my results for 2 months, which was frustrating, to say the least. Other than that, it is a flawless service and you will not regret using it for your DNA explorations.
- Submitted By Dennis Bell on 08/25/2018Helix is a good company with partnerships with all the famous brands in the industry. I chose to do an ancestry test via Helix because I wanted easy access to other information from my DNA - which is exactly what I got. The whole procedure is fast and easy to follow, and I received my results sooner than I expected. Honest recommendation.
- Submitted By Donna Hoffman on 08/19/2018Sent my sample in early May, it is now August 19 and still cannot access results. I have contacted both Helix and Insitome, followed all instructions and it is not working. I was told I could print out the things I want but, if I can not access it, I can not print it out. I am told it is working on their end and thats great, does me no good though. I have nothing good to say.
- Submitted By David Kiehl on 03/24/2018Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don't do it the ground shipping is faster Complaint to Helix with response "Dang Lu
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM Hello David, Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix's hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping. Thank you, Dang Lu Helix Customer Care My response to Helix I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
- Submitted By Frank Langermann on 09/04/2018LivingDNA is the best test for anyone with Jewish ancestry. On scam sites like 23andMe and AncestryDNA, they just tell you some nonsense like you're "96% Ashkenazi Jewish." Many if not most Jews and gentiles alike are totally ignorant about the ethnic origins of Ashkenazi Jews. On LivingDNA they actually tell you WHAT your ACTUAL ethnic breakdown is. Here are my results: Europe 70.1% Europe (North and West) 37.9% France 35.8% Germanic 2.1% Europe (South) 20.2% Tuscany 10.3% South Italy 5.1% Iberian Peninsula 4.8% Great Britain and Ireland 9.3% England and Wales 9.3% Europe (East) 2.7% Northeast Europe 2.7% Near East 28% Levant 16.6% Iran 6.4% North Turkey 3% South Turkey 2% Asia (South) 1.9% Pashtun 1.9%
- Submitted By Samantha Myers on 05/20/2018I've bought this test for my dad who's in his 70's and he was able to figure it out himself and mail it to the lab. That's how simple it is. He got a notification when the company received the sample and was absolutely thrilled with the results. I ordered one for myself as well in the meantime and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive at my address.
- Submitted By Lauren Woods on 05/18/2018Reliable and accurate information that allowed me to learn a lot about my roots and brought some unexpected discoveries to say the least. I've purchased these tests for family members, and their results perfectly sync up with mine. Accuracy and professionalism at its best!
- Submitted By Randy Graham on 05/18/2018Investigating my ancestry became a hobby of mine without me even realizing it. I've spend well over a thousand dollars on different DNA tests and I just recently found out about one that focuses on British heritage. I snatched this bad boy as soon as I got the chance and received an amazingly accurate ethnic overview, which corroborates my previous findings to the letter. Great company, definitely recommend if you're aware of your British inheritance and want to explore it further.
Living DNA provides the broadest geographical coverage of matching ancestry and ethnicity, with the English Isles represented with 21 regions. Raw DNA results are also offered for potential matching with different databases and genealogy research websites. Read all about the company's testing options in our detailed Living DNA review.