After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Helix and National Geographic Ancestry Test are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Helix and National Geographic Ancestry Test, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Processing laboratories with CLIA & CAP accreditations
- Impressive variety of different DNA testing solutions
- Experienced team of scientists and genetic advisors
- Price: $59.99
- More than 800,000 participants in over 140 countries
- 60 reference populations for a complete ancestral layout
- Neanderthal DNA check and full autosomal, Y, and mt testing
- Price: $149.95
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Patricia T. on 09/05/2018Helix is an amazing company for discovering more about yourself through your DNA. I am more than satisfied with what the value I received for my money. However, the company (and its partners) really needs to work on speeding up test processing times. I waited for my results for 2 months, which was frustrating, to say the least. Other than that, it is a flawless service and you will not regret using it for your DNA explorations.
- Submitted By Dennis Bell on 08/25/2018Helix is a good company with partnerships with all the famous brands in the industry. I chose to do an ancestry test via Helix because I wanted easy access to other information from my DNA - which is exactly what I got. The whole procedure is fast and easy to follow, and I received my results sooner than I expected. Honest recommendation.
- Submitted By Donna Hoffman on 08/19/2018Sent my sample in early May, it is now August 19 and still cannot access results. I have contacted both Helix and Insitome, followed all instructions and it is not working. I was told I could print out the things I want but, if I can not access it, I can not print it out. I am told it is working on their end and thats great, does me no good though. I have nothing good to say.
- Submitted By David Kiehl on 03/24/2018Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don't do it the ground shipping is faster Complaint to Helix with response "Dang Lu
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM Hello David, Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix's hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping. Thank you, Dang Lu Helix Customer Care My response to Helix I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
- Submitted By SZ on 09/03/2018I read some negative reviews online, and almost decided against buying the test. Fortunately, I changed my mind and did the test. I waited 10 weeks for my report to be ready and I learned a lot of things about my maternal and paternal ancestry. I was not disappointed and I recommend going with National Geographic if you want to find out more about your ancestors. The test is worth every penny, if you understand what you are getting out of it.
- Submitted By Tanya on 08/13/2018I waited a long time to receive my results. While I was not disappointed with my report, I did expect a bit more from National Geographic.
- Submitted By Cynthia on 07/30/2018I am utterly flabbergasted by this product. It has been a year since I submitted by samples and until now I have yet to receive my results. I wrote several emails and in the beginning the first reason was ‘some delays due to change of labs’ then when I asked again ‘delays due to IT issues of uploading results’ and then when I asked again recently it was met with silence and just simply no reply. I have now asked them for a refund but again no reply. I really recommend that you do not purchase this at all. It is really a very annoying situation and I regret getting this - they basically took the money and gave me nothing. Reading some of the reviews here make it sound like some people actually received results - how? Why did I not receive mine? It makes me so disappointed. Is there a board I can complain to formally? It really is a scam with the Nat Geo name ! If I could give zero I would but this system’s minimum is 1 star
- Submitted By Thomas Thompson on 07/16/2018I purchased the kit and submitted my sample, I supposedly got my results back but the only thing I have been able to access is a site trying to sell me all kinds of addons and other crap. As far as I can tell it is just a big scam to get you to spend more money. Shame on National Geographic.
Helix is a DNA testing hub that incorporates the testing portfolios of numerous companies and puts them all under one roof, resulting in probably the most impressive DNA testing online store on the market. Read our dedicated Helix review to learn all about the company, its impeccable service, and numerous testing solutions.