After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Helix and National Geographic Ancestry Test are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Helix and National Geographic Ancestry Test, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Processing laboratories with CLIA & CAP accreditations
- Impressive variety of different DNA testing solutions
- Experienced team of scientists and genetic advisors
- Price: $59.99
- More than 800,000 participants in over 140 countries
- 60 reference populations for a complete ancestral layout
- Neanderthal DNA check and full autosomal, Y, and mt testing
- Price: $149.95
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By David Kiehl on 03/24/2018Helix charges $13.67 for 2 day Fed Ex delivery. Don't do it the ground shipping is faster Complaint to Helix with response "Dang Lu
Sat 3/24/2018, 12:32 AM Hello David, Based on the order history, it looks like the order was placed on 3/21/2018 at 5:05 PM which would be too late for FedEx to pick up the package. The order was fulfilled and picked up by FedEx on 3/22/2018. Once FedEx picks up the order, it is out of Helix's hands on the shipping portion. I understand your frustration, however cannot provide a refund for the shipping. Thank you, Dang Lu Helix Customer Care My response to Helix I guess I am confused. Your site states 2-day shipping, I paid you, not Fed Ex for 2-day shipping. Therefore you are legally responsible for the guarantee for 2-day shipping. I appreciate your offer for a discount which should be in conjunction with a refund, for a service that you offer but was not fulfilled. I am very unhappy with your substandard business practices and will keep this in mind before using your company again. Rest assured, I will be certain to inform potential customers as well as legal authorities of this travesty & illegal practice. I would strongly suggest a disclaimer stating that due to using an unreliable shipping partner, or total apathy by Helix or Fed Express, that rush 2-day delivery will most likely arrive after our usual 5-7 day ground shipping. Not including delays due to weather, flocks of migratory birds or butterflies, the occasional person tying helium balloons to a lounge chair and infiltrating airspace whether occupied by aircraft or not and any other lame excuse we can concoct.
- Submitted By Ian Black on 03/11/2018Can't believe this! I just did the test and all of a sudden, I can order a bunch more without having to do pretty much anything.
- Submitted By Jayna Moore on 01/27/2018Great choice, great prices, superb service!
- Submitted By Jake Thomas on 12/22/2017The kit took a while to arrive but it was smooth sailing from there.
- Submitted By Mary Schwartzenberger on 06/03/2018I just received my results from Helix 2.0 from National Geographic. I don't understand any of it at all and I have a college degree. It makes absolutely no sense to me and was a complete waste of money.
- Submitted By Sharmarke Korane on 05/23/2018It's a waste of time and money, i purchased two tests one for my brother and one for my sister. Even though my brother and sister are half siblings and the fathers come from different regions, the test results were identical. I contacted them multiple times and they insist there's nothing they can do. This test is a fraud, don't waste your money on it.
- Submitted By Jess Quintana on 04/30/2018I purchased this test in May of 2017. It sat on my desk for the rest of the year, and in January of 2018 I sent it in, Two weeks later, I was notified that my DNA had been sequenced. I purchased the Ancestry test in late April of 2018, and within 15 minutes the results were in my email box. I signed up for the app for the third party that processed it, and was completely blown away by the results. Unlike others here, I have had a perfect experience, and am eager to learn more. It gave me kind of what I expected from South America, but I was blown away by the Western Europe connections, Asian Connection, and Finnish backgrounds. If you know what to expect going in, I think you will be quite satisfied. If you are expecting a full report after sending off for sequencing you will be disappointed. I believe this test to be very accurate, and very complete. It goes back 200,000 years! I am enjoying this product a lot. Best of luck to all, and I hope you find what you're looking for!
- Submitted By KDMichigan on 04/13/2018I bought this kit because you were supposed to be able to use the results with Family Tree DNA. This is 100% not true. National Geograpic only sells kits for Helix. Family Tree DNA does not accept results from Helix. I am left with 100% useless raw data unless I want to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to Helix. SAVE YOUR TIME AND BUY A KIT FROM ONE OF THE REPUTABLE SITES. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY
Helix is a DNA testing hub that incorporates the testing portfolios of numerous companies and puts them all under one roof, resulting in probably the most impressive DNA testing online store on the market. Read our dedicated Helix review to learn all about the company, its impeccable service, and numerous testing solutions.