Orig3n Review - UPDATED Sep 2017
Orig3n is a successful startup company founded in 2014 in Boston, Massachusetts. It specializes in biotechnology, specifically in developing cutting-edge treatments for rare genetic conditions targeting liver, heart, and neurodegenerative indications.
Their work is based on Nobel Prize winning technology and it should usher an era without trial and error in disease treatment. Ideally, this will enable us to have healthier and longer lives. Their pioneering breakthroughs in regenerative medicine aim at creating an induced pluripotent stem cell technology, which will be able to “shapeshift” into any type of cell in our bodies.
Several A-series investors have realized the importance of their scientific work and backed it with more than 15 million dollars in donations. Our Orig3n review will inspect their complete offer in detail and relay the most important information to you in a succinct and comprehensive fashion.
How Orig3n Works
Orig3n follows the direct-to-customer model, with at-home, easy-to-use testing kits. The procedure comprises the following steps:
- Placing an online order – You can simply pick the DNA test that caught your interest and order it through the Orig3n website.
- Sample collection – The test uses buccal cells for your DNA analysis, so you’ll be required to perform a cheek swab. It’s a completely painless procedure that only takes up several minutes of your time.
- Mailing the specimen back – Once your cheek swabs are ready, you can mail the kit back to Orig3n for processing, using the pre-paid mailer.
- Downloading the app – LifeProfile app is required for viewing your results. Through this app, you’ll also be able to stay up-to-speed with the newest products Orig3n has to offer.
Alternatively, you can also attend one of the many events organized by Orig3n, so you can provide your DNA sample there, without ordering the testing kit.
Why Choose Orig3n
A widely spread saying states that Orig3n is today what the Internet was in 1993. They offer so much more than simple DNA testing and enumerating reasons for looking their way could take quite a while.
We’ll focus on the most important ones from a customer’s point of view:
- A variety of detailed and pragmatic DNA tests
- Revolutionary scientific approach based on Nobel Prize winning technology
- State-of-the-art processing facility
- Compliance with protocols established by Occupational Safety & Health Administration and The World Health Organization
- Highly trained and professional staff
- Reasonable pricing
- Family discounts
- Constant activity on pushing the boundaries in the field of regenerative medicine for the common good
- An opportunity for customers to contribute to the ongoing research projects exploring the usage of iPS cells for testing drugs for efficacy and ways to personalize the treatment approach
Orig3n currently offers 6 different DNA tests, each providing a crucial insight into personal fitness potential, overall wellness, and genetic predispositions. Individuals under 18 years of age must provide parental/guardian consent in order to participate. There’s no upper age limit, as long as there are no limitations or restrictions preventing you from providing a viable sample.
Particular genes selected for testing are recommended by leading research and peer-reviewed scientific publications. The average turnaround across the tests is around 4 weeks after the receipt of your DNA sample. Orig3n strongly encourages involving your family members in DNA testing, so they offer family discounts on all tests.
This test assesses and decodes information stored in your DNA signature, providing a full insight into your fitness potential.
The main points of interest cover:
- Power performance – Testing genetic variants associated with cardiovascular fitness and the makeup of skeletal muscles located in fast-twitch muscle fibers.
- Exercise recovery – Determining the time frame needed for you to recover from a high-intensity exercise.
- Metabolism – Identifies fat mass and genetic level of fat sensitivity, alongside cholesterol regulation degree, insulin sensitivity, and lipid metabolism.
- Muscle strength – establishes the true potential of your muscle power, based on genes in charge of bone density, immune function, and muscle mass.
- Endurance – Provides information on the overall effectiveness of your body’s ability to process oxygen. Genes tested are responsible for red blood cell production, inflammation management, muscle efficiency, and tissue oxygenation.
- Joints – The test analyzes genetic variations in the makeup of your ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. These differences affect how sore we will get after working out.
Aura is a skin assessment test, providing unprecedented information about your largest organ. Orig3n tests 8 separate genes and their related single nucleotide polymorphisms.
The key aspects of the Aura DNA test include:
- Skin hydration capacity – Understanding your skin’s genetic hydration qualities can help you tailor your water consumption and skin care accordingly.
- Aging – Genetic capacity for skin aging varies among people, so being familiar with yours is essential for proper skin care. If the test determines that you have genetic predispositions for faster-than-normal aging, you’ll be able to take extra steps in advance to better preserve and protect your skin.
- Elasticity – Elasticity is one of the most important things to maintain if you want your skin to age well. A proper understanding of your genetic markers can basically provide a roadmap, outlining the best ways of doing so.
- UV sensitivity – This portion of the test will inform you whether your sensitivity to the sun is higher-than-normal, so you can protect your skin adequately.
This test identifies your body’s natural response to nutrition. The results can help you customize your diet plan the way you were genetically predisposed to do.
Test highlights provide information on:
- Food sensitivity – Indicates food limitations you should introduce to your daily diet, the most prominent factors including milk, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Food breakdown – Teaches you about your body’s ability to metabolize good and bad fats present in your diet. This section focuses on lipid levels, HDL/LDL cholesterol, fatty acid response, and monounsaturated fat.
- Hunger and weight – Learn all about your genetic predispositions concerning appetite, metabolic rate, key determinants of weight loss/gain, and sugar cravings.
- Vitamins – Genetics can make the production of certain vitamins harder for your body, so you’ll learn about your potential vitamin deficiencies and needed supplements.
This test should help you determine your “superpower.”
It inspects 3 key “superhero attributes,” including:
- Strength – If you belong to the 10% of people with an inherent genetic strength attribute, you’ll possess the highest muscle strength, thus the lowest risk percentage for muscle injury.
- Intelligence – Determines your genetic ability to digest information quickly, presenting DNA predisposition for higher academic achievements.
- Speed – Explores your DNA, searching for a particular muscle protein, enabling your skeletal muscles to generate force at high momentum.
The test should uncover the secrets of your brain, as stated by Orig3n, providing a complete picture of your personal behaviorism.
Test highlights include the following segments:
- Addiction – Determining your genetic predispositions for handling the effects of cannabis, alcohol, and other opiates.
- Feelings – Teaching you about your genetic mold for euphoria, empathy, and stimulation.
- Behavior – The genes tested here will determine how your DNA affects your motor skills and impulsive behavior.
- Tolerance – Shows you the genetic levels of tolerance for pain and stress.
You can share the results with your doctor, providing him/her with an unprecedented insight into your genetic makeup.
The Bloom test decodes your child’s DNA, providing information on unique genetic traits and properties.
The results focus on the following key aspects of your child’s development:
- Enlightenment – This segment tests genes related to cognitive abilities, memory recall, and mathematical skills.
- Fitness – The genes inspected affect sports performance in terms of endurance, muscle force, strength, and other capabilities.
- Health – Explores the role of your child’s DNA regarding overall health, from sleep issues to potential tooth decay.
- Nutrition – Helps you build a customized diet plan to fit your child’s genetic needs.
You can also share the findings with your pediatrician in order to optimize his/her familiarity with your child’s unique genetic composition.
Orig3n runs the largest crowdsourced biorepository of induced pluripotent stem cells in the world, simply named the LifeCapsule. The collection of donated blood samples enables scientists to create iPS cells and perform numerous tests in order to better understand cryptic and rare diseases.
You can also take part in the advancement of your future health and medicine in general by joining the LifeCapsule program. The price of the annual membership is 99$ and it enables you to:
- Add your DNA sample to the repository
- Learn all about the usage of your sample in developing new potential treatments
- Get exclusive access to future services the moment they’re online
- Have everlasting access to your personal and immortalized iPS cells
Orig3n also offers C3LL Cardiomyocytes derived from human-induced pluripotent cells. They display the typical morphology with Troponin T expression and synchronous beating as markers for differentiated cardiomyocytes.
Privacy And Security
Orig3n takes your privacy seriously, so you can rest assured that they’ll never share your contact/payment information or test results with any third parties. Only you have access to your results through the designated app and only you know who the DNA sample belongs to.
Shipping And Handling
Orig3n doesn’t mention anything about shipping options, so we presume they use regular postal service, which enables you to choose between regular and express shipping. They also don’t state their region coverage, so we don’t actually know whether they ship their DNA testing kits worldwide or just within the US.