23andMe provides stellar security measures and privacy protection, and this guide will lead you through the implemented practices in a comprehensive way that’s easy to understand even if you’re not an expert in online security.
23andMe Privacy Highlights
23andMe will use the collected information to:
- Provide, analyze, and further improve its services
- Personalize its marketing and advertising endeavors
- Maintain the security of the company, its employees, and customers
- Comply with relevant laws and regulations
- Advance its research projects (only with your explicit consent)
Note that 23andMe follows the letter of the law at all times and never operates outside of the permitted boundaries.
When you accept the company’s Privacy Statement and Terms of Service, 23andMe can:
- Perform analysis of your data and provide you with its service
- Perform analysis and give you information about your ancestry
- Determine your eligibility for polls, surveys, and questionnaires
- Monitor and improve the quality of the existing products and services or develop new ones
The company will never use your information without your consent unless it is already aggregated and anonymized so that you can’t be positively identified as an individual. The other possibility of using your data without your consent involves potential court orders requiring the company to disclose personal information.
Transfer Of Personal Information
The company will never sell, lease or rent your personal info to any third parties. With your explicit consent, the company may share your data with third parties for research purposes.
As we already mentioned, the company may share aggregated and anonymized information with third parties, but that data has already been “stripped” of any information that can identify you as a person (your name, contact info…). Note that, once given, your consent can also be withdrawn at any given moment by simply changing the consent status within your personal 23andMe account.