iGENEA VS The Genealogist
After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. The Genealogist and iGENEA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between The Genealogist and iGENEA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Offers an extensive list of genealogical sources and data sets
- Family Tree DNA testing portfolio, staff, and processing lab
- Solid privacy & security policy and worldwide shipping
- Price: $142.43
- Usage of Family Tree DNA testing facility and user database
- 3 DNA testing solutions with highly detailed and accurate results
- Free consultations with experts and competent user support
- Price: $213.99
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By RLF on 09/21/2018I'm an American. I subscribed to the The Genealogist UK based on glowing online reviews like those found here. I'm truly baffled by the praise this website receives. The only resource that was of even marginal pertinence to me was the PCC wills. I was able to glean a few useful bits from those. But, other than that, I was disappointed by their other paltry offerings. For example, they will link to articles in books and journals, but those are already available for free through: Google Books, HathiTrust, and Archive.Org. Even their births, marriages and deaths are free at Familysearch. I was really hoping they would have wills and other local county records that simply can't be found outside of the UK. Another example: I learned through my research that the Hertfordshire Archives have wills that aren't covered by the PCC records or available in printed form or online. This is also true of most other English counties. There is a wealth of county probate information locked away in these records. These are the sort of records I need to see to do adequate research. This is what I was hoping to find at the Genealogist. If they do not offer these there's no point is spending my money here. One final point -- I think that there may be many researchers who, when they see what is offered here, go away with the impression that that is all there is. Nothing could be further from the truth.
- Submitted By Alex Miller on 12/28/2017Tell me if I'm missing something here but isn't family tree dna cheaper like a lot??
- Submitted By Indiana George on 11/18/2017I ordered from the Genealogist website, I get notification my fam. tree dna account is ready, my credit card says something else... What's going on here guys?!
- Submitted By Jean Patrick on 10/12/2017Great service! Took a while to get the final results but that didn't diminish the overall experience for me.
- Submitted By Paul Anderson on 08/22/2017I definitely discovered a lot about my jewish ancestors but the test was so damn expensive.
- Submitted By Josh O'Neal on 07/13/2017The whole procedure was pretty quick and I even got the hard copy of the results.
- Submitted By Kim Reeves on 06/05/2017The site is just a mess I couldn't find anything I wanted to know so I had to call the support guys to help me out.
- Submitted By Thomas Wilkinson on 04/21/2017Excellent tests! It's all I imagined it would be and I'm thinking about starting a Wilkinson surname project as well.
The Genealogist is a website under the corporate umbrella of Genealogy Supplies (Jersey) Limited dedicated to genealogical research and complemented with ancestry DNA testing. The genetic piece of the puzzle is provided by none other than Family Tree DNA. Read more about this promising partnership in our in-depth review of The Genealogist and its services.