After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. MyHeritage and WeGene are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between MyHeritage and WeGene, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- High-quality FDA-approved Genotek at-home DNA testing kit
- Custom-designed high-density Affymetrix processing chips
- Simple testing process/highly accurate and reliable results
- Price: $74.00
- Top-of-the-line sample processing facility/accurate results
- Numerous features and subscription plans available to users
- 40 million family trees, 2.6 million profiles, 8 billion records
- Price: $69.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Alan on 10/17/2018My daughter in law did the transfer to WeGene from 23andme. Its been about three months now and she has Zero cousin matches. I know something is wrong because I see more than a dozen matches on GEDmatch with WeGene test kits. Also there is no link to contact any customer service for help.
- Submitted By Linda Reynolds on 04/08/2018I had a ton of questions when I first found Wegene and the support team was nothing short of impressive. So patient and friendly, they answered everything I asked and then some. As far as the actual test is concerned, I got my results in 4 weeks and there’s just a bunch to explore so it can get pretty overwhelming. Long story short, great company with an excellent Asian-centric test. I did have some delivery problems but it was all pretty smooth from there.
- Submitted By Robert Lee on 12/12/2017Been searching for a test like this for ages to tell me more about my Chinese roots. I already did the ancestrydna test so that was pretty convenient since I just transferred my results to wegene and got even more information pretty cheap.
- Submitted By N on 04/06/2019Just an absolutely horrible experience. This site obviously has a bias set to its ratings. The math does not work with these ratings.
- Submitted By Kathy on 01/20/2019Don't waste your money on MyHeritage getting your DNA tested. I have traced my family tree back on both sides of my family pretty far. I have actual proof of being Cherokee since my mother's paternal grandfather was full-blood, her maternal grandmother was full-blood and there is also Cherokee on my father's side. My 5th gr Grandmother is listed in the Cherokee By Blood, Her granddaughter put in an application for the Eastern Cherokee tribe and they are listed on the Guion Miller Roll. Can't get much more Cherokee than that. My DNA results came back that I am zero % American Indian. Also said I am zero % Scottish or Irish yet I have my family traced back to the year 1068 and we are related to Sir William Wallace. When I called to complain and say I wanted a refund I was told that their DNA tests are quite accurate. I told the guy apparently they are not accurate or they would have gotten my DNA correctly. His excuse about not finding the Scottish or Irish was that more than likely my family originated in England and migrated to Scotland and Ireland. Uh... NO! I asked if he was going to change the history books and also let Mel Gibson know that he based his movie in the wrong country? As for the reason they didn't find any American Indian in my DNA he said that many Indians don't trust the white man and so they don't want to provide DNA samples to compare to. Ok, so how are other companies able to test for American Indian DNA. He then said there are over 500 tribes they don't have samples for. I told him that even if that were true, the Cherokee are one of the largest tribes in the U.S. They were one of the 5 civilized tribes. I told him that in case he didn't know what that meant, it meant that they were one of the tribes to adopt the customs of the white settlers and generally had good relations with them. They were one of the only tribes to have a written syllabary making it possible for them to read and write in their language. There are 3 federally recognized Cherokee tribes as well as some not federally recognized. So, how is it that they do not have ANY DNA from this tribe? He just continued to repeat to me that there are over 500 tribes that they do not DNA from to be able to compare to. I then asked him this - When MyHeritage very first started, how did they test their very first customer? Because if I was understanding him correctly, they needed something to compare to and if it was the very first customer then what did they compare to? I told him I felt their company is falsely advertising and that I wanted a refund. You can't advertise and charge people money for doing something if you aren't going to or aren't able to do it correctly. They are not able to test people's DNA correctly if they can not test for everything. He kept telling me how accurate their tests are but they are not accurate and I was very disappointed with the results. I will be posting this review on Yelp.com as well as Angie's List and any other review site that I am able to post on. I still want a refund and plan to call them again as well as write to them. It's unethical to charge that much money for something and not do it correctly. I want my money back so I can find someone who actually knows what they are doing and can test my DNA correctly. Don't waste your money on this,
- Submitted By Samantha R Boykin on 12/26/2018I ordered the DNA kite for my husband for Christmas its been six weeks still not here, and cant get anyone on on the phone. I dont get all the great reviews im very dissapointed .
- Submitted By MCD on 06/20/2018My Heritage offer a fantastic online facility to research your family history. I feel connected to people whose blood and DNA I carry but died hundred of years ago. I had no idea, until a few days ago my Mothers side of the family were Millers and Corn Dealers based in a sleepy village in Suffolk, England. There also appears to be a child one of my Great Grandmothers had that nobody knew anything about..... such a tantalising mystery!!
MyHeritage is a DNA testing provider founded in 2003 in Israel. It combines genetic research with genealogy, allowing its users to create family profiles, print family trees, share photos, perform DNA testing, stay in touch with relatives, research family history, and much more. Read all about its services in our MyHeritage review.