After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. MyHeritage and iGENEA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between MyHeritage and iGENEA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Top-of-the-line sample processing facility/accurate results
- Numerous features and subscription plans available to users
- 40 million family trees, 2.6 million profiles, 8 billion records
- Price: $69.00
- Usage of Family Tree DNA testing facility and user database
- 3 DNA testing solutions with highly detailed and accurate results
- Free consultations with experts and competent user support
- Price: $213.99
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Kathy on 01/20/2019Don't waste your money on MyHeritage getting your DNA tested. I have traced my family tree back on both sides of my family pretty far. I have actual proof of being Cherokee since my mother's paternal grandfather was full-blood, her maternal grandmother was full-blood and there is also Cherokee on my father's side. My 5th gr Grandmother is listed in the Cherokee By Blood, Her granddaughter put in an application for the Eastern Cherokee tribe and they are listed on the Guion Miller Roll. Can't get much more Cherokee than that. My DNA results came back that I am zero % American Indian. Also said I am zero % Scottish or Irish yet I have my family traced back to the year 1068 and we are related to Sir William Wallace. When I called to complain and say I wanted a refund I was told that their DNA tests are quite accurate. I told the guy apparently they are not accurate or they would have gotten my DNA correctly. His excuse about not finding the Scottish or Irish was that more than likely my family originated in England and migrated to Scotland and Ireland. Uh... NO! I asked if he was going to change the history books and also let Mel Gibson know that he based his movie in the wrong country? As for the reason they didn't find any American Indian in my DNA he said that many Indians don't trust the white man and so they don't want to provide DNA samples to compare to. Ok, so how are other companies able to test for American Indian DNA. He then said there are over 500 tribes they don't have samples for. I told him that even if that were true, the Cherokee are one of the largest tribes in the U.S. They were one of the 5 civilized tribes. I told him that in case he didn't know what that meant, it meant that they were one of the tribes to adopt the customs of the white settlers and generally had good relations with them. They were one of the only tribes to have a written syllabary making it possible for them to read and write in their language. There are 3 federally recognized Cherokee tribes as well as some not federally recognized. So, how is it that they do not have ANY DNA from this tribe? He just continued to repeat to me that there are over 500 tribes that they do not DNA from to be able to compare to. I then asked him this - When MyHeritage very first started, how did they test their very first customer? Because if I was understanding him correctly, they needed something to compare to and if it was the very first customer then what did they compare to? I told him I felt their company is falsely advertising and that I wanted a refund. You can't advertise and charge people money for doing something if you aren't going to or aren't able to do it correctly. They are not able to test people's DNA correctly if they can not test for everything. He kept telling me how accurate their tests are but they are not accurate and I was very disappointed with the results. I will be posting this review on Yelp.com as well as Angie's List and any other review site that I am able to post on. I still want a refund and plan to call them again as well as write to them. It's unethical to charge that much money for something and not do it correctly. I want my money back so I can find someone who actually knows what they are doing and can test my DNA correctly. Don't waste your money on this,
- Submitted By Samantha R Boykin on 12/26/2018I ordered the DNA kite for my husband for Christmas its been six weeks still not here, and cant get anyone on on the phone. I dont get all the great reviews im very dissapointed .
- Submitted By MCD on 06/20/2018My Heritage offer a fantastic online facility to research your family history. I feel connected to people whose blood and DNA I carry but died hundred of years ago. I had no idea, until a few days ago my Mothers side of the family were Millers and Corn Dealers based in a sleepy village in Suffolk, England. There also appears to be a child one of my Great Grandmothers had that nobody knew anything about..... such a tantalising mystery!!
- Submitted By Jerry Kay on 06/20/2018I was so happy with the clear concise way the lady explained a DNA question. i now realize I can add as many DNA results to my tree to check unknown connections and follow if maternal on paternal ancestors.
- Submitted By elefterios on 10/01/2018Try and avoid using this service. Igenea released a falsified report on Slavic Macedonian DNA claiming that it was related to Ancient Macedonian. They could not provide an ancient macedonian marker or reference point because it does not exist. They were paid by the VMRO a considerable amount of money to release a falsified report. Roman Scholz is a shonk and he cannot provide the reference material. Fraudulent firm and fraudulent findings. Do not waste your money.
- Submitted By Paul Anderson on 08/22/2017I definitely discovered a lot about my jewish ancestors but the test was so damn expensive.
- Submitted By Josh O'Neal on 07/13/2017The whole procedure was pretty quick and I even got the hard copy of the results.
- Submitted By Kim Reeves on 06/05/2017The site is just a mess I couldn't find anything I wanted to know so I had to call the support guys to help me out.
MyHeritage is a DNA testing provider founded in 2003 in Israel. It combines genetic research with genealogy, allowing its users to create family profiles, print family trees, share photos, perform DNA testing, stay in touch with relatives, research family history, and much more. Read all about its services in our MyHeritage review.