After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. HomeDNA and GPS Origins are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between HomeDNA and GPS Origins, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- State-of-the-art testing facility with robotics technology
- Multitude of genetic tests with quick turnaround times
- Highly skilled scientific team and effective user support
- Price: $39.00
- One of the most accurate tests with 800,000+ SNP checked
- 31 world regions covered with 1,000+ reference populations
- Family Tree DNA, AncestryDNA, Nat Geo, and 23andMe transfers
- Price: $69.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Jodah Davidson on 05/25/2018I spent 70 bucks on the "HomeDNA™ Starter Ancestry Test." My results consisted of an animation that highlights hot-spots that they claim I originate from. "91% European" with Tunisia indicated as my top European region. First off Tunisia isn't European, it's North African.... Secondly, I have at best trace North African ancestry that is around 1% on 23andMe. They also claim I'm 3% Mexican and 6% East Asian from Thailand, both are totally incorrect, and wildly inaccurate. Their test doesen't even allow for raw data download. So in closing, "HomeDNA™ Starter Ancestry Test," is a total ripoff and about as accurate and helpful as a free ancestry app or a 5$ dollar app on many sites.
- Submitted By Ann Rice on 08/21/2017Great service and quick results with just a ton of information.
- Submitted By Jack Green on 07/29/2017The support staff was very patient and answered all of my questions. The guys really know their stuff.
- Submitted By Ian Atkins on 07/05/2017I really liked that I could just upload my results from 23andme and take it from there.
- Submitted By JS on 06/09/2018I don't know how this could get anything above one star. This technology supposedly "proved" that Ashkenazi Jews originated in Northeast Turkey, yet I'm 100% Ashkenazi and my test showed that I'm 50% Palestinian, 50% Spanish. While this is "true" in the sense that my genetic makeup is roughly halfway between the Levant and SW Europe, it obviously does not reflect my literal ancestry, which is much more complex. The generic descriptions it gave me told me that one of my "parent" ancestors had migrated to the Levant during the 14th-15th centuries from Egypt, while my other "parent" ancestors had migrated from Southern France to Spain between 1,000 and 2,,000 years ago. It gave me very random and ultimately meaningless %s of different "ancestry" that didn't make sense with my actual ancestry or even with the regional migrations they gave me. This might be useful for someone with very homogeneous background,, I honestly can't say, but it was almost meaningless for me.
- Submitted By Candice on 04/05/20182 Stars is being generous. This is not detailed you get details about the top 3 regions only. On its pinpoint map then it is broken down two one grouping for each parent. My mother has very Homogenized background. But, my father has a very very Heterogenous background. The results are nowhere as good as the results from Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA, MyHeritage, or Gedmatch. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SERVICE if you have already had a DNA test us another site that is free for comparison.
- Submitted By Roi Levi on 11/19/2017Remarkable accuracy! I had to call my parents to make sure no one talked to them and made up these results. I have Italian and German origins that start in the Middle East and Russia. The results are way more interesting than all these 5% this and 4% that. I mean, who cares?
- Submitted By Logan Reeves on 09/06/2017The migration maps are really engaging and the results even placed my first dna relative in a small village in France.
Owned by DNA Diagnostics Center Inc., HomeDNA offers a wide range of health, animal, and ancestry DNA testing solutions The company incorporates the most advanced robotics technology into DNA sequencing and provides 100% accurate and error-free results. Learn all about its offer in our dedicated HomeDNA review.