After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Family Tree DNA and WeGene are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Family Tree DNA and WeGene, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- High-quality FDA-approved Genotek at-home DNA testing kit
- Custom-designed high-density Affymetrix processing chips
- Simple testing process/highly accurate and reliable results
- Price: $74.00
- The widest array of different DNA tests on the market
- Free updates of your test results after the initial order
- Free transfer of raw data from AncestryDNA & 23andME
- Price: $79.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Alan on 10/17/2018My daughter in law did the transfer to WeGene from 23andme. Its been about three months now and she has Zero cousin matches. I know something is wrong because I see more than a dozen matches on GEDmatch with WeGene test kits. Also there is no link to contact any customer service for help.
- Submitted By Linda Reynolds on 04/08/2018I had a ton of questions when I first found Wegene and the support team was nothing short of impressive. So patient and friendly, they answered everything I asked and then some. As far as the actual test is concerned, I got my results in 4 weeks and there’s just a bunch to explore so it can get pretty overwhelming. Long story short, great company with an excellent Asian-centric test. I did have some delivery problems but it was all pretty smooth from there.
- Submitted By Robert Lee on 12/12/2017Been searching for a test like this for ages to tell me more about my Chinese roots. I already did the ancestrydna test so that was pretty convenient since I just transferred my results to wegene and got even more information pretty cheap.
- Submitted By Roberto C on 09/02/2018Family Tree is a good company, but they should really make the report more understandable for ordinary people. Excellent customer support.
- Submitted By TX on 08/22/2018What baffles me is that so many people complain about FTDNA because they never bothered to do some research about DNA testing. If you don't have a clue how DNA testing works and what your report will look like, you will be disappointed in FTDNA. BUT if you read about it and know what to expect, FTDNA is the best possible company for learning more about yourself and your ancestry through your DNA.
- Submitted By Bea on 08/17/2018FTDNA are true professionals in every sense of the word. The ordering and collecting processes went as smooth as possible, the results arrived on time and featured A LOT of information, and the customer support rep helped me figure out some things I didn't understand.
- Submitted By Dana M Joyner on 07/27/2018This told me almost NOTHING and was very inaccurate. I've done family trees, even met relatives of other races and this site said I was 0%. To be fair, I got one of the cheaper tests but I already knew more about me than it told me and it literally said that some information might not be completely accurate "due to background noise". WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN???
Family Tree DNA is a clear-cut winner for anyone aiming at far-reaching research. The abundance of tests and bundled packages - alongside innovative tools and a widespread community - offers in-depth ancestry insights and relative-matching possibilities. Learn all about the service in our comprehensive Family Tree DNA review.