After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Family Tree DNA and WeGene are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Family Tree DNA and WeGene, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- High-quality FDA-approved Genotek at-home DNA testing kit
- Custom-designed high-density Affymetrix processing chips
- Simple testing process/highly accurate and reliable results
- Price: $74.00
- The widest array of different DNA tests on the market
- Free updates of your test results after the initial order
- Free transfer of raw data from AncestryDNA & 23andME
- Price: $79.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Linda Reynolds on 04/08/2018I had a ton of questions when I first found Wegene and the support team was nothing short of impressive. So patient and friendly, they answered everything I asked and then some. As far as the actual test is concerned, I got my results in 4 weeks and there’s just a bunch to explore so it can get pretty overwhelming. Long story short, great company with an excellent Asian-centric test. I did have some delivery problems but it was all pretty smooth from there.
- Submitted By Robert Lee on 12/12/2017Been searching for a test like this for ages to tell me more about my Chinese roots. I already did the ancestrydna test so that was pretty convenient since I just transferred my results to wegene and got even more information pretty cheap.
- Submitted By Dana M Joyner on 07/27/2018This told me almost NOTHING and was very inaccurate. I've done family trees, even met relatives of other races and this site said I was 0%. To be fair, I got one of the cheaper tests but I already knew more about me than it told me and it literally said that some information might not be completely accurate "due to background noise". WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN???
- Submitted By Robert ONeil on 05/21/2018total rip off. DNA extremely expensive compared to other websites and no DNA results. Very lazy, confusing website. Contacting customer service and get the nastiest individuals God ever created. For 10 years as a customer, their patented answer is nobody in my family tree gets their Dna analyzed. Not a single person. Really! While the other two websites I use are updating new names all the time. I quit using this website as this is not a Dna testing site. IT IS A NASTY VIRUS! I can't believe they are highly rated here . This website must be owned by Family Tree DNA for them to give even one 5 star rating.
- Submitted By Vernon Williams on 02/11/2018If I had a PhD in genetics, I’d analyze my DNA myself, I wouldn’t ask you to do it for me. Fortunately, the lady from customer support was nice enough to explain a couple of things so it wasn’t a total waste of money.
- Submitted By Gerald Chamberlain on 02/09/2018I didn’t understand the results, they seemed inaccurate and the customer support was really not eager to help. If they expect me to give them so much money, they could at least explain the results so I could get at least something for my money.
Family Tree DNA is a clear-cut winner for anyone aiming at far-reaching research. The abundance of tests and bundled packages - alongside innovative tools and a widespread community - offers in-depth ancestry insights and relative-matching possibilities. Learn all about the service in our comprehensive Family Tree DNA review.