Embark VS DDC Veterinary
There are great differences between canine DNA testing companies, primarily in the variety of tests they provide, but also in the scope of those tests. Our comparison of Embark and DDC Veterinary will show you just how different two companies can be while providing the same kind of service. Things like the number of breeds checked, the quantum of genetic diseases and traits tested for, the method of determining parentage, and many other can differ greatly, thus emphasizing the importance of clearly outlining why you want to order this type of test in the first place. Once you do that, our Embark VS DDC Veterinary comparison will do the rest.
- Cutting-edge testing technology and dog-approved laboratory
- Detailed test with over 256 quadrillion genetic combinations
- Partnership with Cornell University of Veterinary Medicine
- Price: $179.00
- Wide array of different DNA tests for dogs, cats, birds, and horses
- Robotics technology incorporated into executing every test
- Own laboratory and numerous international quality certificates
- Price: $38.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Patrea Pabst on 10/01/2019Embark's genetic defect tests are accepted and validated. Their phenotype and traits analysis exhibit very poor accuracy. Their "breed" analysis is completely inaccurate. Despite acknowledging the limitations, and saying its "not for purebred dogs" they still issue reports that identify dogs that are show champions with stellar pedigrees as mixed breeds - of course, calling into question ALL breed analysis, since if you cannot get the purebreds correct, how could you possibly get the mixes? When questioned, its not their problem, they are not willing to reassess or correct the reports, but say they will do so sometime in the future. The ONLY thing I can recommend Embark for is the genetic disease markers, most of which are irrelevant to the majority of dogs.
- Submitted By Patricia A Coyne on 09/20/2019Very tough to compare products. I am the voluntary liasson for my breed. MARS Wisdom panel currently uses 7,000 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) while Embark uses 230,000 which means that they have the capacity to do a lot more research, marker development and relatedness analysis. With our breeder tool we can project Genetic Litter COI and guard against losing more DNA from the gene pool.. The Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) is measured in two areas which looks at immune health and susceptibility to autoimmune disease. In addition we are developing a survey for breed specific parameters which can feed the data to fast track discovery. A little in price but it packs a punch. The citizens platform is possible because you own the results and can own them collectively. Add a vet report and professional oversight and the decision is easy, especially as a breeder. Pet owners are getting involved too. When you love a breed it takes everyone working in the same direction to make the biggest difference. Otherwise you are at the mercy of industry and reasearch to "get around to" addressing the issues. It's the data accumulation with survey that is the most powerful. Preservation Breeding is here to stay!
- Submitted By Aepied on 12/17/2018Great test for genetic health - about 170 tests for genetic defect markers and genes. Interesting results for size, behavior, health, and appearance. A complete waste on breed type. We submitted two unrelated purebred dogs with well documented, verified pedigrees. One came back as two breed mix (one correct) and the other as a supermutt with only trace amount of the correct breed. Oh, and dont forget to set your privacy settings as soon as you get your reports - otherwise the world and see them, and they stamp the "alleged breed type" on all the reports, including the genetic ones
- Submitted By Rosemary Trombley on 12/24/2017Not impressed, too many errors
- Submitted By Alicia B on 08/29/2018I have tested both of my German Shepherds using this site. Quick and speedy results!
- Submitted By Caitlin on 07/25/2018For testing our breeding dogs, DDC has been our go to. Amazing service and great staff members!
- Submitted By Tiffany on 11/30/2017I loved how quickly my samples were processed and that I could receive emails! Fantastic!
- Submitted By Sheila Morris on 07/19/2017Ddc just has it all! We are husky breeders and always get a ddc pedigree certificate for every new litter.
Embark is a successful startup, coming from two brother scientists who dedicated their lives to studying the genetic background of dog illnesses and traits. Its comprehensive dog DNA test covers breed breakdown, ancestry overview, health reports, professional nutritional recommendations, and much more. Read the complete story here.