After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. African Ancestry and WeGene are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between African Ancestry and WeGene, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- High-quality FDA-approved Genotek at-home DNA testing kit
- Custom-designed high-density Affymetrix processing chips
- Simple testing process/highly accurate and reliable results
- Price: $74.00
- Experienced team with solid background in genetics/genealogy
- Company focused on African paternal and maternal heritage
- The largest database of African lineages on the market
- Price: $299.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Linda Reynolds on 04/08/2018I had a ton of questions when I first found Wegene and the support team was nothing short of impressive. So patient and friendly, they answered everything I asked and then some. As far as the actual test is concerned, I got my results in 4 weeks and there’s just a bunch to explore so it can get pretty overwhelming. Long story short, great company with an excellent Asian-centric test. I did have some delivery problems but it was all pretty smooth from there.
- Submitted By Robert Lee on 12/12/2017Been searching for a test like this for ages to tell me more about my Chinese roots. I already did the ancestrydna test so that was pretty convenient since I just transferred my results to wegene and got even more information pretty cheap.
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/2018Pros: They tell you actual tribe names and country of origin which is great cause 23 and Me could only tell me I was West African and Ancestry.com tells you countries but does not take into account that maps were changed when Europe colonized Africa. Cons: Results are mailed and not available online. They ONLY tell you African ancestry and will give you zero info on non-african ancestry. I only got results for my grandmothers line my Uncle will have to shell out another $300 to get my grandfathers line. And last all they tell is country of origin and tribe name, you would think for $300 I would get a short history of my ppl.
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/201823 and Me could only tell me West African so this test gave me a clearer picture of where in Africa I'm from. However results are mailed and not available online, they do not give you any information about your ppl other than tribe and country. You would think for $300 i would at least get a short bio about the tribes history. They ONLY tell you African ancestry so if you're mixed like me you have to shell out more money for a test with a different company to find out the rest of who you are.
- Submitted By Amare Chikelu on 11/29/2017Great info but expensive as hell...
- Submitted By Ada Faraji on 10/05/2017Yes, they told me I'm from Africa, but couldn't tell me the city or my ancient tribe ?
African Ancestry is a DNA testing provider that enables its users to explore their potential African heritage by following their paternal and maternal lineages up to 2,000 years in the past. Read our dedicated African Ancestry review to learn more about the testing solutions the company has to offer and the overall quality of its ancestry testing service.