After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. 23andMe and WeGene are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between 23andMe and WeGene, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- High-quality FDA-approved Genotek at-home DNA testing kit
- Custom-designed high-density Affymetrix processing chips
- Simple testing process/highly accurate and reliable results
- Price: $74.00
- Health reports show potential for hereditary conditions
- 570,000 genetic markers checked within Ancestry Service
- Company Database contains around 2 million registered users
- Price: $99.00
- Shipping:Worldwide (Not Available In All Countries)
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Alan on 10/17/2018My daughter in law did the transfer to WeGene from 23andme. Its been about three months now and she has Zero cousin matches. I know something is wrong because I see more than a dozen matches on GEDmatch with WeGene test kits. Also there is no link to contact any customer service for help.
- Submitted By Linda Reynolds on 04/08/2018I had a ton of questions when I first found Wegene and the support team was nothing short of impressive. So patient and friendly, they answered everything I asked and then some. As far as the actual test is concerned, I got my results in 4 weeks and there’s just a bunch to explore so it can get pretty overwhelming. Long story short, great company with an excellent Asian-centric test. I did have some delivery problems but it was all pretty smooth from there.
- Submitted By Robert Lee on 12/12/2017Been searching for a test like this for ages to tell me more about my Chinese roots. I already did the ancestrydna test so that was pretty convenient since I just transferred my results to wegene and got even more information pretty cheap.
- Submitted By Anna Bennett on 09/02/2018My daughter bought me this test and I was amazed (to say the least) to learn of my origins! It looks like I'm mostly from Europe. Fascinating!
- Submitted By Havier Torres on 08/27/201823 and me is the best DNA testing company there is. I love researching my ancestry and did a couple of tests with other famous companies - my experience with 23 and me has been the best so far. Apart from learning a lot about my heritage, I also received a health report - this is something only 23 and me provides. The test gives great value for the money spent and I plan on buying it as a Christmas gift to my family.
- Submitted By D. Collins on 08/19/2018This has been an amazing experience. I learned so much and had a lot of fun along the way. Thank you!
- Submitted By Sharon on 08/16/2018I selected 23 and me for DNA testing because two friends had used this company, and they recommended it. Even though the quoted time is approximately 6-8 weeks, theirs was completed in approximately 4 weeks. My experience has been less satisfactory. My sample was mailed in June, and notification was received 2 days later stating the sample had been received and testing was underway. For 5 weeks, my status remained at the point where they were reading the chip. Although this seemed like an unrealistic time, I assumed they simply were not updating my account the first few weeks. After 5 weeks at the same stage, I surmised that the company was either a scam or they have inept employees. I had entered our contract in good will and completed a gamut of questions so my results could be used to further research. As a research scientist, the company had lost all credibility and I would never trust them to participate in ethical research. I changed my status, disallowing the company to use my DNA results for any type of research. Then I received an e-mail stating that my results would be delayed a few more weeks because of a computer upgrade. In the meantime, I began reading reviews. Some customers who submitted their DNA after mine was submitted had already received their results. Others had received a message regarding the additional delay due to computer delay. It's been almost 2 months since the notification that they received my sample. There has been no change in the status of my sample. I have wasted $200. Since the company has not lived up to the advertisement, and have proven to be untrustworthy, any results they provide in the future will be suspect. My intent had been to give these kits to friends and family at Christmas. Now that it has become evident that 23 and me is not a reputable company, I will research other companies who provide this service.
23andMe is an impressive DNA testing provider featuring a staggering user count, paired with cutting-edge tools for chromosome browsing, biogeographical ancestry analysis, and health-related results. Read all about this exceptional service in our detailed 23andMe review.