If you would like to explore your genetic health and wellness, as well as other traits influenced by your DNA, you may want to know whether 23andMe or Orig3n is a more suitable choice for you. While they are both good companies with stellar reputations, they do not offer the same tests or health reports. When choosing a DNA testing company, it is important to clearly define what you are looking for and choose accordingly. In the table below, you can compare these two DNA testing providers, viewing their offers side by side. This can help you easily and quickly decide whether 23andMe or Orig3n meets your expectations and delivers the data you are interested in.
- Health reports show potential for hereditary conditions
- 570,000 genetic markers checked within Ancestry Service
- Company Database contains around 2 million registered users
- Price: $99.00
- Shipping:Worldwide (Not Available In All Countries)
- Unique portfolio of progressive and highly accurate DNA tests
- State-of-the-art testing facilities and highly professional staff
- Constant research on treating rare and obscure genetic diseases
- Price: $29.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Sir Francis Baron Von Ross. on 03/19/2019After my stepfather passed away as he was the only father who I knew growing up I did the 23andme DNA to see if I had family or cousins on my real fathers side. I was shocked to learn I had so many people related to me. Everyone was so excited at first but then that faded very fast. Then I found 1st cousins and was great but then they did not bother to talk with me and realized I was not welcomed on my real fathers side. I am all by myself now since no one cares about me. It's a shame that people just don't care if they hurt a person. All I can say is you may be hurt by others but doing the 23andme DNA sure was great.
- Submitted By Walt Jenner on 01/16/2019I did the 23andme test and I found it simple to perform and easy to read the results.After submitting my saliva, it took about 4 weeks to process. I did this around the Christmas holiday, so they were perhaps running a little slower than they would during the summer.I didn't expect to see any "family secrets" revealed, so that wasn't a reason for me to take the test. However, my results DID reveal a family secret: my Aunt is my half-aunt. Whoops! So even if you don't expect to see family secrets, remember that you might reveal one.I wish the 23andme web site would pool "matching relatives" into groups so I can more easily determine which side of the family all the relative matches are from. Sure, it'd be easy if I had my entire family take the test, but many are deceased. And with a surprise half-aunt in the picture, I don't want to ask anyone.
- Submitted By Anna Bennett on 09/02/2018My daughter bought me this test and I was amazed (to say the least) to learn of my origins! It looks like I'm mostly from Europe. Fascinating!
- Submitted By Havier Torres on 08/27/201823 and me is the best DNA testing company there is. I love researching my ancestry and did a couple of tests with other famous companies - my experience with 23 and me has been the best so far. Apart from learning a lot about my heritage, I also received a health report - this is something only 23 and me provides. The test gives great value for the money spent and I plan on buying it as a Christmas gift to my family.
- Submitted By Sam on 02/23/2019I ordered the Noom Weight loss DNA test on November 7, 2018. It arrived quickly. I sent my swab in the mail two weeks later. They never received it at the lab, so when I sent an email to inquire about it they simply sent me a new one. I did the new swab and sent it within the week that time. I got an email January 4 that they received it, and then another on the 7 that they started processing it. So at this point I had already spent two months just trying to get them the sample... They say it takes them 4-6 weeks to process, so at 5 1/2 weeks I wrote asking where my sample was at in the process. I got the same email described below by a few fellow reviewers from Phyllis Francis on Feb 15. It seems like a blanket response they send to everyone. Regardless, I still have not heard back from the “lab” what the holdup is. I wrote again today because it has been more than 6 weeks since they received the sample and I have not gotten an update. Will report back as this continues to develop. But overall customer service is terrible.
- Submitted By Kendall on 02/06/2019I purchased two tests in late November and sent them to Orig3ns on November 30. The following week I received confirmations that they had received both tests and I would have my reports in about 4 weeks.After 5 weeks I followed up by email and was told by Phyllis Francis:"Thank you for reaching out. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate your patience. Our lab team has generated a partial report and are still working on the last few genes. I do apologize you have not yet received your results. We do our best to deliver results in 4 to 6 weeks but sometimes experience delays due to the number of swabs we're processing and the quality of the sample we receive. I have noted both your swabs for the lab to determine the cause for delay.Each individual is unique and some DNA is also harder to extract than others but we always make multiple attempts and may need to mail you a new swab free of charge. If this is the case we will follow-up to confirm your mailing address."Two weeks later no results so I followed up again. Phyllis' response: "I do apologize, I am still waiting to hear back from the lab. Additionally, I refunded your order due to the delay"I asked if I should still expect my results and she said yes.Two weeks later, still no results. It has now been 8 weeks since they were received and 4 weeks since I was told they were almost done. I followed up with an inquiry and Phyllis response was:"The lab is a bit backed up but still running your samples. I do not have an ETA."So if you are truly interested in receiving results, don't waste your money on this company. I am now suspicious about what they are really doing with my DNA.
- Submitted By Ellen Sullivan on 01/17/2019They lost my first sample and had to have it re-done. Submitted second sample, received notification that they received the sample and began testing on November 5, 2018. Waited 5 weeks to see results, none to be had. Sent request as to when I would receive, still testing. checked again, received exact same response from same person, even though with each email the person stated they would follow up. Never received any notification that a follow-up was done. Received email response to another inquiry on 12/28/18. Said that there was a test done on my sample on 12/27/18. Still no results on line. To this day, no results. Nor do they seem to care. Finally returned my money for the test (purchased through NOOM)
- Submitted By Nina on 07/22/2018I thought it was cool but it said I have a thin hair gene but my hair is really thick and it said I don’t tan easily but I do, I’m half Italian and half European.. so it makes me question the other results. Oh and I had a major unibrow before waxing but it said I was in the normal, but believe me this caterpillar is anything but normal
23andMe is an impressive DNA testing provider featuring a staggering user count, paired with cutting-edge tools for chromosome browsing, biogeographical ancestry analysis, and health-related results. Read all about this exceptional service in our detailed 23andMe review.