Ancestry DNA testing companies brought genetic genealogy to the general public. Although commercially available ancestry tests are all similar, the differences between them can make or break the entire experience for you. Our comparison between National Geographic Ancestry Test and MyHeritage will show you the right way to approach your ancestry examination, as well as crucial aspects to keep in mind. The best way to go about things here is defining, in layman's terms, what you're most interested about; what you want to discover about your genetic ancestry and potential historic relatives. With that information, the choice between National Geographic Ancestry Test and MyHeritage will be pretty evident.
- More than 800,000 participants in over 140 countries
- 60 reference populations for a complete ancestral layout
- Neanderthal DNA check and full autosomal, Y, and mt testing
- Price: $149.95
- Top-of-the-line sample processing facility/accurate results
- Numerous features and subscription plans available to users
- 40 million family trees, 2.6 million profiles, 8 billion records
- Price: $99.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Arthur Starr on 04/27/2019This company needs major improvement. I have been waiting since February 2019 after I paid and send a saliva sample. I have not received results nor have i been able to access the site. I have spoken to numerous individuals who supposedly represent Helix and each time was promised that the problems would be taken care of. None of this has helped. I am not recognized on the site after resending my information many times. I would avoid this program and warn others to do the same. At this point I am wondering if this is a scam. I subscribe toNational Geographic and trusted that they were involved with this company. I would give them a zero for a rating if it were allowed.
- Submitted By SZ on 09/03/2018I read some negative reviews online, and almost decided against buying the test. Fortunately, I changed my mind and did the test. I waited 10 weeks for my report to be ready and I learned a lot of things about my maternal and paternal ancestry. I was not disappointed and I recommend going with National Geographic if you want to find out more about your ancestors. The test is worth every penny, if you understand what you are getting out of it.
- Submitted By Tanya on 08/13/2018I waited a long time to receive my results. While I was not disappointed with my report, I did expect a bit more from National Geographic.
- Submitted By Cynthia on 07/30/2018I am utterly flabbergasted by this product. It has been a year since I submitted by samples and until now I have yet to receive my results. I wrote several emails and in the beginning the first reason was ‘some delays due to change of labs’ then when I asked again ‘delays due to IT issues of uploading results’ and then when I asked again recently it was met with silence and just simply no reply. I have now asked them for a refund but again no reply. I really recommend that you do not purchase this at all. It is really a very annoying situation and I regret getting this - they basically took the money and gave me nothing. Reading some of the reviews here make it sound like some people actually received results - how? Why did I not receive mine? It makes me so disappointed. Is there a board I can complain to formally? It really is a scam with the Nat Geo name ! If I could give zero I would but this system’s minimum is 1 star
- Submitted By Peter on 11/09/2019Unable to stop a subscription Be very careful with this company. The website is not that bad but once you want to stop your subscription it is very hard. They respond with an email but next year they just take money from your credit-card and keep your subscription. I have a bunch of emails where I confirmed that I really want to stop my subscription but again they took 189.01 euro. Be warned, do NEVER take a subscription at MyHeritage, they are scammers.
- Submitted By E on 11/05/2019The worst! Our family took DNA tests as a group. After spending $$$, matches appeared on some of the family accounts and not on others. In other words, the match display were incomplete. (Obviously if you have a cousin who appears as a match on this site and every other DNA site, then you should appear as a match for them as well). MyHeritage support was a complete joke. Totally unhelpful, slow to respond, and moronic. Save your money and take literally any other DNA test!
- Submitted By Antonina Starsinszky on 06/07/2019MyHeritage is great for family matches and such, but overly simplified in ethnicity. Mine showed I was 100% Eastern European only. That is very unlikely as I have never seen anyone else get 100%. Kinda cool, but not true. If you have more unique ancestry like tatar, udmurt, ossettian, or something like that it will brush over it and place it in a broad region. Good thing is you can upload your raw data to many other sites for free. !!!!! I uploaded to 5 others(get the most out of your money people) and they all showed diffirent variations of North Eastern slavic, Albanian, North European (disagreed if Im Scandinavian or British(from 12 to 24% so weird MyHeritage didnt catch it). GenePlaza were more spesific to put me as Norwegian, Scottish Argyll and Orkney for Northern Europe) and 4/5 of the others showed small percentage of Indian & South Asia! GenePlaza again traced it back to Gurjati indian which makes total sense knowing I have a great grand-parent of Romani(gypsy) decent. That site also placed me as Mordovian which is highly likely due to my geographical location. Generally yes its not wrong Im 100% ish eastern european. Since I am west Russian that could be similar to North Europe because of Viking influences in the past, and if Romani got lost in translation, but its such a boring result compared to what others give you. So I recommend MyHeritage only as a means to upload to other sites or for finding DNA matches only. They have great feutures for filtering relevant matches as well. + acsess to family tree if you pay.
- Submitted By Marie Utley on 07/06/2019This is Marie, I love the time frame on our DNA test. To me they did a wonderful job, I was totally shocked by the results of where we was from. My daughter and I could not believe it. We really looked at each other and laughed, and it shocked us completely. But I believe it, and my son, we was "Totally" shocked about his DNA. They did a great job, and the price was justified as well. I will recommend them to the rest of my family members. Thank You! MyHeritage.com for doing a great job.
MyHeritage is a DNA testing provider founded in 2003 in Israel. It combines genetic research with genealogy, allowing its users to create family profiles, print family trees, share photos, perform DNA testing, stay in touch with relatives, research family history, and much more. Read all about its services in our MyHeritage review.