Ancestry DNA testing companies brought genetic genealogy to the general public. Although commercially available ancestry tests are all similar, the differences between them can make or break the entire experience for you. Our comparison between National Geographic Ancestry Test and MyHeritage will show you the right way to approach your ancestry examination, as well as crucial aspects to keep in mind. The best way to go about things here is defining, in layman's terms, what you're most interested about; what you want to discover about your genetic ancestry and potential historic relatives. With that information, the choice between National Geographic Ancestry Test and MyHeritage will be pretty evident.
- More than 800,000 participants in over 140 countries
- 60 reference populations for a complete ancestral layout
- Neanderthal DNA check and full autosomal, Y, and mt testing
- Price: $149.95
- Top-of-the-line sample processing facility/accurate results
- Numerous features and subscription plans available to users
- 40 million family trees, 2.6 million profiles, 8 billion records
- Price: $59.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By SZ on 09/03/2018I read some negative reviews online, and almost decided against buying the test. Fortunately, I changed my mind and did the test. I waited 10 weeks for my report to be ready and I learned a lot of things about my maternal and paternal ancestry. I was not disappointed and I recommend going with National Geographic if you want to find out more about your ancestors. The test is worth every penny, if you understand what you are getting out of it.
- Submitted By Tanya on 08/13/2018I waited a long time to receive my results. While I was not disappointed with my report, I did expect a bit more from National Geographic.
- Submitted By Cynthia on 07/30/2018I am utterly flabbergasted by this product. It has been a year since I submitted by samples and until now I have yet to receive my results. I wrote several emails and in the beginning the first reason was ‘some delays due to change of labs’ then when I asked again ‘delays due to IT issues of uploading results’ and then when I asked again recently it was met with silence and just simply no reply. I have now asked them for a refund but again no reply. I really recommend that you do not purchase this at all. It is really a very annoying situation and I regret getting this - they basically took the money and gave me nothing. Reading some of the reviews here make it sound like some people actually received results - how? Why did I not receive mine? It makes me so disappointed. Is there a board I can complain to formally? It really is a scam with the Nat Geo name ! If I could give zero I would but this system’s minimum is 1 star
- Submitted By Thomas Thompson on 07/16/2018I purchased the kit and submitted my sample, I supposedly got my results back but the only thing I have been able to access is a site trying to sell me all kinds of addons and other crap. As far as I can tell it is just a big scam to get you to spend more money. Shame on National Geographic.
- Submitted By MCD on 06/20/2018My Heritage offer a fantastic online facility to research your family history. I feel connected to people whose blood and DNA I carry but died hundred of years ago. I had no idea, until a few days ago my Mothers side of the family were Millers and Corn Dealers based in a sleepy village in Suffolk, England. There also appears to be a child one of my Great Grandmothers had that nobody knew anything about..... such a tantalising mystery!!
- Submitted By Jerry Kay on 06/20/2018I was so happy with the clear concise way the lady explained a DNA question. i now realize I can add as many DNA results to my tree to check unknown connections and follow if maternal on paternal ancestors.
- Submitted By Jake on 06/19/2018Yes I am very happy with my heritage Great job I found out my ancestors my family I am very happy I will definitely tell all my friends they need to buy them a kit so they can check their ancestors and find their families definitely recommend this for everybody
- Submitted By Amy on 06/19/20185 stars. Yes of course!
MyHeritage is a DNA testing provider founded in 2003 in Israel. It combines genetic research with genealogy, allowing its users to create family profiles, print family trees, share photos, perform DNA testing, stay in touch with relatives, research family history, and much more. Read all about its services in our MyHeritage review.