Ancestry DNA exploration is an exciting journey into the past, but one you must design for yourself. The best way to go about it is mapping the main questions you want to be answered, once the results are complete. Our comparative view of Living DNA and Family Tree DNA paints the picture of two of the best ancestry DNA testing providers on the market. The journey back will be smooth with either one, yet one will always answer more questions than the other, depending on the "maps" you've drawn for yourself. Read all about databases, region coverage, DNA markers checked, and other result components compared between Living DNA and Family Tree DNA.
- 80 world regions covered, including 21 in the British Isles
- 15-fold analysis of 650,000 genetic markers in your genome
- Free shipping and result updates; raw DNA data download
- Price: $156.00
- The widest array of different DNA tests on the market
- Free updates of your test results after the initial order
- Free transfer of raw data from AncestryDNA & 23andME
- Price: $79.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Frank Langermann on 09/04/2018LivingDNA is the best test for anyone with Jewish ancestry. On scam sites like 23andMe and AncestryDNA, they just tell you some nonsense like you're "96% Ashkenazi Jewish." Many if not most Jews and gentiles alike are totally ignorant about the ethnic origins of Ashkenazi Jews. On LivingDNA they actually tell you WHAT your ACTUAL ethnic breakdown is. Here are my results: Europe 70.1% Europe (North and West) 37.9% France 35.8% Germanic 2.1% Europe (South) 20.2% Tuscany 10.3% South Italy 5.1% Iberian Peninsula 4.8% Great Britain and Ireland 9.3% England and Wales 9.3% Europe (East) 2.7% Northeast Europe 2.7% Near East 28% Levant 16.6% Iran 6.4% North Turkey 3% South Turkey 2% Asia (South) 1.9% Pashtun 1.9%
- Submitted By Samantha Myers on 05/20/2018I've bought this test for my dad who's in his 70's and he was able to figure it out himself and mail it to the lab. That's how simple it is. He got a notification when the company received the sample and was absolutely thrilled with the results. I ordered one for myself as well in the meantime and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive at my address.
- Submitted By Lauren Woods on 05/18/2018Reliable and accurate information that allowed me to learn a lot about my roots and brought some unexpected discoveries to say the least. I've purchased these tests for family members, and their results perfectly sync up with mine. Accuracy and professionalism at its best!
- Submitted By Randy Graham on 05/18/2018Investigating my ancestry became a hobby of mine without me even realizing it. I've spend well over a thousand dollars on different DNA tests and I just recently found out about one that focuses on British heritage. I snatched this bad boy as soon as I got the chance and received an amazingly accurate ethnic overview, which corroborates my previous findings to the letter. Great company, definitely recommend if you're aware of your British inheritance and want to explore it further.
- Submitted By Roberto C on 09/02/2018Family Tree is a good company, but they should really make the report more understandable for ordinary people. Excellent customer support.
- Submitted By TX on 08/22/2018What baffles me is that so many people complain about FTDNA because they never bothered to do some research about DNA testing. If you don't have a clue how DNA testing works and what your report will look like, you will be disappointed in FTDNA. BUT if you read about it and know what to expect, FTDNA is the best possible company for learning more about yourself and your ancestry through your DNA.
- Submitted By Bea on 08/17/2018FTDNA are true professionals in every sense of the word. The ordering and collecting processes went as smooth as possible, the results arrived on time and featured A LOT of information, and the customer support rep helped me figure out some things I didn't understand.
- Submitted By Dana M Joyner on 07/27/2018This told me almost NOTHING and was very inaccurate. I've done family trees, even met relatives of other races and this site said I was 0%. To be fair, I got one of the cheaper tests but I already knew more about me than it told me and it literally said that some information might not be completely accurate "due to background noise". WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN???
Living DNA provides the broadest geographical coverage of matching ancestry and ethnicity, with the English Isles represented with 21 regions. Raw DNA results are also offered for potential matching with different databases and genealogy research websites. Read all about the company's testing options in our detailed Living DNA review.