After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. HomeDNA and Living DNA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between HomeDNA and Living DNA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- State-of-the-art testing facility with robotics technology
- Multitude of genetic tests with quick turnaround times
- Highly skilled scientific team and effective user support
- Price: $39.00
- 80 world regions covered, including 21 in the British Isles
- 15-fold analysis of 650,000 genetic markers in your genome
- Free shipping and result updates; raw DNA data download
- Price: $156.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Jodah Davidson on 05/25/2018I spent 70 bucks on the "HomeDNA™ Starter Ancestry Test." My results consisted of an animation that highlights hot-spots that they claim I originate from. "91% European" with Tunisia indicated as my top European region. First off Tunisia isn't European, it's North African.... Secondly, I have at best trace North African ancestry that is around 1% on 23andMe. They also claim I'm 3% Mexican and 6% East Asian from Thailand, both are totally incorrect, and wildly inaccurate. Their test doesen't even allow for raw data download. So in closing, "HomeDNA™ Starter Ancestry Test," is a total ripoff and about as accurate and helpful as a free ancestry app or a 5$ dollar app on many sites.
- Submitted By Ann Rice on 08/21/2017Great service and quick results with just a ton of information.
- Submitted By Jack Green on 07/29/2017The support staff was very patient and answered all of my questions. The guys really know their stuff.
- Submitted By Ian Atkins on 07/05/2017I really liked that I could just upload my results from 23andme and take it from there.
- Submitted By Frank Langermann on 09/04/2018LivingDNA is the best test for anyone with Jewish ancestry. On scam sites like 23andMe and AncestryDNA, they just tell you some nonsense like you're "96% Ashkenazi Jewish." Many if not most Jews and gentiles alike are totally ignorant about the ethnic origins of Ashkenazi Jews. On LivingDNA they actually tell you WHAT your ACTUAL ethnic breakdown is. Here are my results: Europe 70.1% Europe (North and West) 37.9% France 35.8% Germanic 2.1% Europe (South) 20.2% Tuscany 10.3% South Italy 5.1% Iberian Peninsula 4.8% Great Britain and Ireland 9.3% England and Wales 9.3% Europe (East) 2.7% Northeast Europe 2.7% Near East 28% Levant 16.6% Iran 6.4% North Turkey 3% South Turkey 2% Asia (South) 1.9% Pashtun 1.9%
- Submitted By Samantha Myers on 05/20/2018I've bought this test for my dad who's in his 70's and he was able to figure it out himself and mail it to the lab. That's how simple it is. He got a notification when the company received the sample and was absolutely thrilled with the results. I ordered one for myself as well in the meantime and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive at my address.
- Submitted By Lauren Woods on 05/18/2018Reliable and accurate information that allowed me to learn a lot about my roots and brought some unexpected discoveries to say the least. I've purchased these tests for family members, and their results perfectly sync up with mine. Accuracy and professionalism at its best!
- Submitted By Randy Graham on 05/18/2018Investigating my ancestry became a hobby of mine without me even realizing it. I've spend well over a thousand dollars on different DNA tests and I just recently found out about one that focuses on British heritage. I snatched this bad boy as soon as I got the chance and received an amazingly accurate ethnic overview, which corroborates my previous findings to the letter. Great company, definitely recommend if you're aware of your British inheritance and want to explore it further.
Living DNA provides the broadest geographical coverage of matching ancestry and ethnicity, with the English Isles represented with 21 regions. Raw DNA results are also offered for potential matching with different databases and genealogy research websites. Read all about the company's testing options in our detailed Living DNA review.