After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. Family Tree DNA and DDC DNA Diagnostics Center are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between Family Tree DNA and DDC DNA Diagnostics Center, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- The widest array of different DNA tests on the market
- Free updates of your test results after the initial order
- Free transfer of raw data from AncestryDNA & 23andME
- Price: $79.00
- Testing protocols incorporate and use robotics technology
- Tests are done twice, evading potential errors/failures
- Free pre-test consultation, excellent support, Ph.D. review
- Price: $199.00
- Shipping:USA, Canada
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Lisa Rollins on 04/02/2019My boyfriend and I mailed in our Family Tree DNA results together on same day. My boyfriend rec'd notice from FT DNA about 1 week later that his kit was rec'd and he got his test results back in about 3 weeks. It took about 3 or 4 weeks for FTDNA just to send me notice that my kit was received and after two (2) months, I still have not gotten any results back. I had to contact them as I received no word or any explanation. I asked for a refund as I do not trust results at this point and I was told that my kit was just caught up in a "general delay" and they "don't do refunds". Why it took my boyfriend 3 weeks and here I am 9 weeks later... still waiting in SC.
- Submitted By Laurie Bates on 04/02/2019I sent my DNA in which was received on Feb. 25, the timetable for my results was March, then their was a delay posting and they would not get to my DNA for processing until April 1-15. Now today, April 2, there is a posting that there is another delay with dates to get to my DNA for processing is April 15 - April 30. What is up with these delays? I tried their chat at 11:30am, and found them off line. I have never seen such run around for DNA testing, this is not my first time. With their chat off and these delays, I'm thinking I got taken to the cleaners with this one. No legit company comes up with such delays going out past 60 days and turns off their chat during listed business hours. So from my experience, don't spend money for something that will just be delayed over and over. I am extremely disappointed. I have to list at least 1 star in order to post, otherwise, there would be minus stars.
- Submitted By ARCADIO DE JESUS on 01/25/2019I have done testing with 23andMe, Ancestry an and FTDNA, and believe me, there isn't any way, that 23andMe and Ancestry can compare, with FTDNA. If you test your DNA with FTDNA, and you give them the ok, they will send it to National Geographic for more testing.
- Submitted By K. Horkey on 01/14/2019I was able to upload my autosomal DNA file from Ancestry and get my matches for free. I paid $19.99 to have my Origins and Ancient Origins report. The ethnicity estimates matched up reasonably close with Ancestry's estimates. It was also interesting to get my Ancient Origins results and learn about ancient history and migrations of my ancestors. It is not a good site, in my opinion, to find relatives, as most people use Ancestry or 23andMe for that. None of my matches were surnames that I recognized, unlike on Ancestry where I was matched with all my relatives that I know in real life. I am glad that I originally took my autosomal test with Ancestry but it was a nice perk to be allowed to use the data to get services from this site.
- Submitted By Lori Braun on 04/16/2019This place is horrible. Unprofessional at best. Toying with peoples lives... their emotional state is just down right unacceptable. They promise results and do not follow through. Not once but twice. We still do not have our results as of today. They dont answer the phone, let alone return calls. Leave you on hold for hours. I should have read the reviews first, but seeing how this is supposed to be the best, I didn't. And my/our families are paying for it. I will be contacting the BBB as well. I want what they have done on record. I also posted a review on their site and it was deleted this morning. This place is a joke.
- Submitted By Anna on 03/31/2019HORRIBLE service. Keep getting the run around on our test results. Paid for results in two days and its a week now and they keep making excuses as to why its not done. DO NOT USE this company!! They don't even deserve one star. Their collector filled out everything and did the swabs and they are still giving us a hard time getting results. No one ever picks up the phone, on hold for hours then the system hangs up on you.
- Submitted By Savannah Calhoun 01/18/2019This is the worst experience! I decided to get a paternity test with a guy who can be my dad. We sent them off November 27. Two weeks later I had not received any email. I called and they said my samples were received and I would know my results the next day. They required a reswab. I sent the email requiring a new test. I did not receive it until I called after over a week. I finally received it and sent it back the 27th of December. I did not receive a email so I called and was told they hadn't received them and to call USPS. After waiting on the phone with USPS for 2 hours I found out they received my samples the 28th. I called again and it was confirmed. Here I am on Friday with no results in sight. Hold time is so long!
- Submitted By Suki on 10/04/2018Worst company to deal with ever. Purchased the kit from Walgreens, and sent out the envelope to the facility. I got an email to get in touch with them, i did and they advised for a reswab. Two weeks have passed and i still have not received anything in the mail. I called and they said it usually takes from 3 to 4 weeks to get the new kit... 3 to 4 damn weeks to get a package in the united states. Most horrible company and a experience i have ever dealt with. I do not recommend this company to anyone.
Family Tree DNA is a clear-cut winner for anyone aiming at far-reaching research. The abundance of tests and bundled packages - alongside innovative tools and a widespread community - offers in-depth ancestry insights and relative-matching possibilities. Learn all about the service in our comprehensive Family Tree DNA review.