After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. African Ancestry and Family Tree DNA are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between African Ancestry and Family Tree DNA, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Experienced team with solid background in genetics/genealogy
- Company focused on African paternal and maternal heritage
- The largest database of African lineages on the market
- Price: $299.00
- The widest array of different DNA tests on the market
- Free updates of your test results after the initial order
- Free transfer of raw data from AncestryDNA & 23andME
- Price: $79.00
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/2018Pros: They tell you actual tribe names and country of origin which is great cause 23 and Me could only tell me I was West African and Ancestry.com tells you countries but does not take into account that maps were changed when Europe colonized Africa. Cons: Results are mailed and not available online. They ONLY tell you African ancestry and will give you zero info on non-african ancestry. I only got results for my grandmothers line my Uncle will have to shell out another $300 to get my grandfathers line. And last all they tell is country of origin and tribe name, you would think for $300 I would get a short history of my ppl.
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/201823 and Me could only tell me West African so this test gave me a clearer picture of where in Africa I'm from. However results are mailed and not available online, they do not give you any information about your ppl other than tribe and country. You would think for $300 i would at least get a short bio about the tribes history. They ONLY tell you African ancestry so if you're mixed like me you have to shell out more money for a test with a different company to find out the rest of who you are.
- Submitted By Amare Chikelu on 11/29/2017Great info but expensive as hell...
- Submitted By Ada Faraji on 10/05/2017Yes, they told me I'm from Africa, but couldn't tell me the city or my ancient tribe 😕
- Submitted By Robert ONeil on 05/21/2018total rip off. DNA extremely expensive compared to other websites and no DNA results. Very lazy, confusing website. Contacting customer service and get the nastiest individuals God ever created. For 10 years as a customer, their patented answer is nobody in my family tree gets their Dna analyzed. Not a single person. Really! While the other two websites I use are updating new names all the time. I quit using this website as this is not a Dna testing site. IT IS A NASTY VIRUS! I can't believe they are highly rated here . This website must be owned by Family Tree DNA for them to give even one 5 star rating.
- Submitted By Vernon Williams on 02/11/2018If I had a PhD in genetics, I’d analyze my DNA myself, I wouldn’t ask you to do it for me. Fortunately, the lady from customer support was nice enough to explain a couple of things so it wasn’t a total waste of money.
- Submitted By Gerald Chamberlain on 02/09/2018I didn’t understand the results, they seemed inaccurate and the customer support was really not eager to help. If they expect me to give them so much money, they could at least explain the results so I could get at least something for my money.
- Submitted By Samantha Watkins on 01/29/2018Yeah, according to this company, my children, whom I gave birth to, and I, their biological mother, have absolutely nothing in common. Can’t believe I paid for this.
African Ancestry is a DNA testing provider that enables its users to explore their potential African heritage by following their paternal and maternal lineages up to 2,000 years in the past. Read our dedicated African Ancestry review to learn more about the testing solutions the company has to offer and the overall quality of its ancestry testing service.