Embark VS Wisdom Panel
Embark and Wisdom Panel are companies dedicated to animal DNA exploration, offering testing solutions for private owners, breeders, and veterinarians. Across the two companies, you have a multitude of tests designed to tell you more about your animal friends and help you and your veterinarian provide the best conditions and healthcare for them to lead happy lives. Everything you’ll ever need to know about your pets is already encoded in their DNA signature – it’s all just a matter of “unlocking” those genetic secrets.
Our Embark vs. Wisdom Panel comparison will help you choose between these two companies by providing all the essential information and allowing you to make the best decision for the specific needs of your pet. In some cases, you’ll have a pretty clear-cut choice while others might require some additional research.
- Cutting-edge testing technology and dog-approved laboratory
- Detailed test with over 256 quadrillion genetic combinations
- Partnership with Cornell University of Veterinary Medicine
- Price: $179.00
- Canine breed identification test covers over 250 breeds
- Wisdom Health Test checks for 150+ potential health risks
- Affordable testing, free shipping, satisfaction guarantee
- Price: $84.99
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Patrea Pabst on 10/01/2019Embark's genetic defect tests are accepted and validated. Their phenotype and traits analysis exhibit very poor accuracy. Their "breed" analysis is completely inaccurate. Despite acknowledging the limitations, and saying its "not for purebred dogs" they still issue reports that identify dogs that are show champions with stellar pedigrees as mixed breeds - of course, calling into question ALL breed analysis, since if you cannot get the purebreds correct, how could you possibly get the mixes? When questioned, its not their problem, they are not willing to reassess or correct the reports, but say they will do so sometime in the future. The ONLY thing I can recommend Embark for is the genetic disease markers, most of which are irrelevant to the majority of dogs.
- Submitted By Patricia A Coyne on 09/20/2019Very tough to compare products. I am the voluntary liasson for my breed. MARS Wisdom panel currently uses 7,000 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) while Embark uses 230,000 which means that they have the capacity to do a lot more research, marker development and relatedness analysis. With our breeder tool we can project Genetic Litter COI and guard against losing more DNA from the gene pool.. The Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) is measured in two areas which looks at immune health and susceptibility to autoimmune disease. In addition we are developing a survey for breed specific parameters which can feed the data to fast track discovery. A little in price but it packs a punch. The citizens platform is possible because you own the results and can own them collectively. Add a vet report and professional oversight and the decision is easy, especially as a breeder. Pet owners are getting involved too. When you love a breed it takes everyone working in the same direction to make the biggest difference. Otherwise you are at the mercy of industry and reasearch to "get around to" addressing the issues. It's the data accumulation with survey that is the most powerful. Preservation Breeding is here to stay!
- Submitted By Aepied on 12/17/2018Great test for genetic health - about 170 tests for genetic defect markers and genes. Interesting results for size, behavior, health, and appearance. A complete waste on breed type. We submitted two unrelated purebred dogs with well documented, verified pedigrees. One came back as two breed mix (one correct) and the other as a supermutt with only trace amount of the correct breed. Oh, and dont forget to set your privacy settings as soon as you get your reports - otherwise the world and see them, and they stamp the "alleged breed type" on all the reports, including the genetic ones
- Submitted By Rosemary Trombley on 12/24/2017Not impressed, too many errors
- Submitted By Mike Irving on 12/16/2017The swapping was really easy to do and the results finally showed me what I wanted to know for a long time, the wolf ancestry on my dog.
- Submitted By Ella Green on 11/22/2017I just wish the test had more genetic diseases included without having to order the health test.
- Submitted By Joan Lively on 07/20/2017I didn't know Mars did doggy dna tests, but I guess they can afford it. They gave me all the info on my golden retriever, with all possible illnesses and everything.
- Submitted By Marc Justin on 06/17/2017I did the wisdom panel, but I'd also like the option of putting my mixed-breed through a more serious and detailed test, which wasn't an option.
Embark is a successful startup, coming from two brother scientists who dedicated their lives to studying the genetic background of dog illnesses and traits. Its comprehensive dog DNA test covers breed breakdown, ancestry overview, health reports, professional nutritional recommendations, and much more. Read the complete story here.
Scope Of DNA Tests
Embark Dog DNA Test answers all the relevant questions you might have about your canine friend. It checks your dog’s DNA for traces of over 250 different breeds, including coyote, village dog, and wolf ancestry. The test will determine your dog’s haplogroup, haplotype, and the migration routes of its ancestors 15,000 years back. It’ll also screen your dog’s DNA for more than 165 genetic conditions. Finally, it’ll accurately determine your dog’s genetic age. If you’re not interested in health reports, Embark also allows you to order breed screening as a stand-alone test. Finally, there’s a third testing solution specifically tailored for breeders, providing both breed-specific and trait results.
Wisdom Panel, on the other hand, offers 2 different tests at this time. Wisdom Panel 4.0 will determine your dog’s genetic makeup by comparing its DNA with over 250 breeds. The second test is called Wisdom Panel Health. It’s basically Wisdom Panel 4.0 with additional screening for more than 150 genetic mutations spread across all 16 major body systems. Note that these tests were developed using pure breeds found on AKC and The Kennel Club’s registry lists, so if your dog’s ancestry draws roots from countries other than the US and Canada and regions outside Northern and Western Europe, Wisdom Panel’s breed detection results might not be perfectly accurate.
Test Processing Times
Embark usually generates the final report 2-4 weeks after the analysis has been completed. You’ll also receive updates to your results whenever available.
Wisdom panel 4.0 results arrive within 2-3 weeks and Wisdom Panel Health report within 3 weeks.
Privacy & Security
Embark will never share your personal data with anybody without your explicit consent. However, it does encourage users to provide their information for research purposes.
Value For Money
Embark Dog Breed + Health Test costs 199$ (129$ without the health portion), with a potential discount for multiple dogs. Embark test for breeders has a price tag of 179$ and bulk purchases also qualify you for a significant discount.
Wisdom Panel 4.0 costs 84.99$
and Wisdom Panel Health 149.99$. With every test, you’ll receive a unique discount code you can share with your family members and friends.
Overall experience is the summation of our Embark vs. Wisdom Panel comparison. Both companies offer two high-quality testing solutions, so it’s very difficult to pick out a winner. Wisdom Panel is a bit cheaper and provides wider breed identification. However, it offers a smaller screening panel – unless you want to order both tests – so Embark does seem more convenient in the end.