After making the initial decision to explore your ancestry and genetic origins, you are faced with a multitude of nuances, separating one ancestry DNA testing company from the next. African Ancestry and 23andMe are both excellent choices for the task at hand, but one will certainly come out on top once you identify your specific needs and expectations. Their services, although high-quality and professional, differ in small but important aspects, even though they seemingly do the same thing. Our comparison will help you spot those differences between African Ancestry and 23andMe, allowing you to make an optimal and fully personalized choice.
- Experienced team with solid background in genetics/genealogy
- Company focused on African paternal and maternal heritage
- The largest database of African lineages on the market
- Price: $299.00
- Health reports show potential for hereditary conditions
- 570,000 genetic markers checked within Ancestry Service
- Company Database contains around 2 million registered users
- Price: $99.00
- Shipping:Worldwide (Not Available In All Countries)
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/2018Pros: They tell you actual tribe names and country of origin which is great cause 23 and Me could only tell me I was West African and Ancestry.com tells you countries but does not take into account that maps were changed when Europe colonized Africa. Cons: Results are mailed and not available online. They ONLY tell you African ancestry and will give you zero info on non-african ancestry. I only got results for my grandmothers line my Uncle will have to shell out another $300 to get my grandfathers line. And last all they tell is country of origin and tribe name, you would think for $300 I would get a short history of my ppl.
- Submitted By Fleur Swartz on 05/02/201823 and Me could only tell me West African so this test gave me a clearer picture of where in Africa I'm from. However results are mailed and not available online, they do not give you any information about your ppl other than tribe and country. You would think for $300 i would at least get a short bio about the tribes history. They ONLY tell you African ancestry so if you're mixed like me you have to shell out more money for a test with a different company to find out the rest of who you are.
- Submitted By Amare Chikelu on 11/29/2017Great info but expensive as hell...
- Submitted By Ada Faraji on 10/05/2017Yes, they told me I'm from Africa, but couldn't tell me the city or my ancient tribe ?
- Submitted By Carol Norwood on 07/15/2018Very happy with the results from 23&Me. After giving it some thought, their analysis made since. Impressed with their health evaluations. I would have given them a 5-Star rating but they could not get DNA from my sister’s or husband’s saliva.....even after 2 tries. Can’t get a true picture for me without them.
- Submitted By Judah Davidson on 05/25/2018Being Ashkenazi Jewish and testing on 23andMe is basically useless. They categorize us as "100% European" and that sheds ZERO light on our actual ethnic breakdown. According to 23andMe, Ashkenazi Jews are "100% European" and on their ethnic breakdown, we have 0% of any European sub group, WTF??............. Ashkenazi Jews on 23andMe are also "0% middle eastern." Did I mention their huge issue with "unassigned ancestry" and the nebulous "broadly" category? Save your money and wait until there are holiday sales, like DNA day and mothers day, and find a reputable company. 23andMe is garbage for ancestry testing, I can't address the health testing of their site...
- Submitted By Dorothy Clark on 05/20/2018I purchased 23andme tests for my entire family after my grandfather died and I felt a sudden need to learn more about my family and ancestors. I found a ton of matches online, learned everything about my paternal line and even managed to get a family surname book for my grandfather. 23andme helped me solve a puzzle I though impossible and I would definitely recommed it to all people out there having questions about their ancestors and immediate family.
- Submitted By Clara Jennings on 05/19/2018The only dna test that gave me health report on top of my ancestry! Very interesting results and def worth the price.
23andMe is an impressive DNA testing provider featuring a staggering user count, paired with cutting-edge tools for chromosome browsing, biogeographical ancestry analysis, and health-related results. Read all about this exceptional service in our detailed 23andMe review.