The paternity test is by far the most common and sought after relationship DNA test. With that in mind, our ultimate guide to the best paternity test kits of 2017 will show you some different options and how to pick the best one for you.
Paternity tests have a broad spectrum of applications, ranging from simply satisfying your curiosity to forensics and proceedings regarding custody, inheritance, immigration, and much more.
Depending on your end goal, you can opt for legal and non-legal test iterations. Legal paternity DNA test results are legal proof of paternity in front of courts and other state institutions. Non-legal tests can only provide peace of mind but cannot be used as legal evidence.
- Paternity tests check all 23 genetic markers or DNA loci
- An A+ rated company, according to the Better Business Bureau
- Legal and non-legal paternity testing solutions available
- Legal, non-legal, prenatal, and discreet paternity testing
- Over 300,000 relationship tests executed around the globe
- 21 genetic markers tested for a possible paternity DNA match
- Legal, non-legal, and non-invasive prenatal paternity tests
- Every paternity test is done twice to ensure 100% accuracy
- Free pre-test consultations with a Ph.D. result review
- Low price of the paternity test and quick turnaround time
- Legal, non-legal, and discreet paternity testing offered
- Flexible order options with numerous payment alternatives
- STK paternity test inspects 16 genetic markers or DNA loci
- 99.9999% accuracy of the non-legal paternity DNA test
- Online final results, plus a colored hard copy sent to you
Ranking Criteria Explained
Our research process on the best paternity test kits of 2017 encompassed numerous factors, including:
- Variety of different paternity tests
- Availability of legal and non-legal paternity DNA testing solutions
- Staff skill and competency level
- State and international accreditation
- Available co-operations and partnerships
- Test quality and overall accuracy
- Room for errors and potential test failures
- Number of DNA markers checked
- Average turnaround time
- Quality of the final report
- Satisfaction guarantee and user-friendly refund policy
- Pricing plans
- Options regarding payment and shipping
- Discount and coupon availability
- Possible payment plans for more expensive testing options
- Efficient and knowledgeable user support
We also perform a thorough check of the company’s background, its managerial apparatus, and involvement in relevant research projects in the field.
Live Well Testing Review
Live Well Testing conducts its business as an e-commerce branch of Confirm BioSciences. Paternity DNA tests are just a small part of their online portfolio, as they offer a multitude of DNA and wellness tests focused on your body, pets, and environment too.
As far as paternity DNA testing is concerned, Live Well Testing offers two iterations:
Paternity DNA Home Buccal Test Kit (139.99$) – This test is designed just to satisfy your curiosity and provide you with peace of mind. It’s an at-home DNA test, meaning that its results are not admissible in court.
The highlights of the Live Well Testing Paternity DNA test include:
- The price includes a testing kit and lab costs for one potential father and one child.
- The test kit utilizes cheek swabs.
- The test examines 23 genetic markers or DNA loci.
- The accuracy of the test is 99.9999%.
- The average turnaround time is approximately 3-5 work days.
- If you so choose, you can request a hard copy of the report for an additional fee.
Paternity DNA Home Legal Buccal Test Kit (249.99$) – This iteration provides you with court-viable results that can be used as proof of paternity in proceedings regarding adoption, custody, wills and estates, immigration, and so on.
As far as your involvement is concerned, all of the specifics are shared with the non-legal variant, except two:
- You have to provide your DNA sample at a licensed facility like a hospital, for example. This begins the traceable chain of custody, which mustn’t be broken at any time.
- The price is higher.
Live Well Testing performs its analyses in a modern laboratory with ISO 17025, CAP, A2LA, and AABB certifications.
The tests are shipped worldwide, except the state of New York for legal reasons.
EasyDNA has the most international presence of all the companies on our top-tier list. They have 25 offices spread across the entire world.
Let’s take a look at the focal points of both the company and the DNA tests they offer:
- Over 300,000 tests performed so far.
- Knowledgeable and skilled support staff.
- Over 40 different DNA relationship tests, including twins, siblings uncles/aunts, and grandparents.
- Genetic reconstruction available.
- Both legal and “curiosity” DNA tests available.
- 21 genetic markers checked for potential matches.
- 99.9999% precision.
- Payment plans available.
When it comes to paternity DNA testing, EasyDNA offers the following options:
- Home Paternity Test (119$) – This is the “basic” paternity DNA test offered by EasyDNA. It aims at satisfying your curiosity and doesn’t provide a viable court document. The average turnaround time is 3-5 days.
- Legal Paternity Test (299$) – As expected, the procedure of obtaining legal proof of paternity is a much more daunting one than simply doing the test at home. The sample collection must be performed by a licensed individual (most likely a doctor) at a certified facility (usually a hospital). The whereabouts of the sample must be accounted for from that moment up until they reach the testing lab. The turnaround time for this test is also between 3 and 5 days.
- Immigration DNA Test (499$) – This is a paternity DNA test designed for immigration purposes. EasyDNA really gets to shine in this area since it can send DNA testing kits all over the world, bypassing the potential problem of test subjects living in different countries.
- Prenatal Paternity Test (1196$) – EasyDNA only performs the non-invasive iteration of the test, collecting the DNA sample from the blood of the mother.
- Discreet Paternity Test (80$) – This test offers an alternative when a buccal swab is not an option. It can utilize a used toothbrush, Kleenex, and so on.
The overall price of each test can rise if you need to test more than one father/child. EasyDNA delivers worldwide, except the state of New York.
DDC DNA Diagnostics Center Review
DDC exists for more than 20 years and has executed more than 2 million DNA tests. It is best known for its proprietary, state-of-the-art testing laboratory with robotics technology included in the sequencing of DNA samples.
The mentioned lab is also the most accredited of its kind, featuring recognitions from institutions like CAP, CLIA, AABB, ANAB, Ministry of Justice, and NATA. The company is also a Customer Service Award winner for 2013 and 2014.
Other important company highlights include:
- Highly-skilled staff.
- Accurate test results.
- Free pre-testing consultations with a genetic scientist without any purchase-related obligations.
- Every DNA test is done twice to remove any possibility of errors.
- Sample sequencing is always closely monitored by an expert.
- Every test result comes with a Ph.D. review.
- Payment plans available upon request.
The DDC paternity DNA testing portfolio offers:
- Home DNA Paternity Test (starts at 189$) – This is the aforementioned “curiosity” paternity test, without potential legal ramifications. A DNA test kit is sent to you the same day you order it and the results are usually ready within 24 hours.
- Paternity Testing With Legal Results (starts at 449$) – This test is the most definitive proof of paternity you can obtain. It is 100% accurate and can be used for various legal purposes. The mother’s participation is recommended, but not required. The average turnaround time is not specified; DDC simply states that you’ll get the results as fast as possible. If you believe there’s even a slight possibility of ever needing legal proof of paternity, DDC recommend going with this test right away.
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Paternity Test (price not specified, payment plans available) – This test is performed before the birth of the tested child. The DNA specimen is collected from the fetus cells, flowing freely in the mother’s bloodstream. They can be located as early as the 8th week of pregnancy. The average turnaround time is 3 days.
Paternity Depot Review
Paternity Depot is the most budget-friendly alternative for paternity DNA testing on the market. They pair that fact with some of the quickest turnaround times as well.
Probably because of the name of the company, people usually think paternity testing is the only form of DNA processing they do, which is definitely not true. They also perform all the usual relationship DNA tests, like siblings, avuncular, grandparent, and so on.
One of the most convenient facts is their wide range of DNA samples accepted for testing. Apart from the standard buccal swab, they also welcome blood found on any material, toothbrushes and Kleenexes, semen, teeth or bones, nail clippings, hair with a follicle, and other specimens.
Other ranking factors include:
- Split DNA testing kits (free of charge).
- Flexible order placement.
- Legal and non-legal DNA testing options.
- Over 300,000 tests performed so far.
- 99.99% test accuracy.
- A proprietary ISO 17025 certified lab.
- US-wide shipping.
- Effective customer support.
- 20% off the price if you make your own DNA testing kit.
Basic Paternity Test (59$) – Paternity Depot’s main test offers this price for one father and one child. Additional samples can also be sent for testing for an additional $50 per sample. Processing a “discreet” DNA sample (a toothbrush, a chewing gum…) also costs 50$ extra.
If you want to make your test results legal, the price of the test is $109. Note that the shipping costs are not covered by the original price of the test, so you’ll have to add 8$ for regular mail and 20$ for express.
STK Paternity Test Kit Review
STK Paternity Test Kit is a quick and relatively inexpensive paternity DNA test. Its price includes all lab fees for one father and one child. It’s the only company that provides you with quick online results, but also with a colored hard copy report with no extra charges.
Their testing lab is ISO 17025 and AABB certified and the promised results accuracy is 99.99%. The test itself inspects 16 genetic markers for possible matches. As they like to point out, it’s 3 more than the FBI checks for DNA “fingerprints.” As we like to point out, however, it’s still 4 fewer than what Live Well Testing screens for, but it all evens out when you take the prices into consideration. Besides accurate results, STK also guarantees full privacy and security of your information and final test report.
The sample processing commences within a couple of hours after it arrives at their testing facility and the results can be expected within 3-5 business days. Note that the shipping costs are included in the price and that this testing kit cannot be sent to the state of New York. It is also not eligible for international shipping, so it’s exclusively available to USA residents.
The price of the STK Paternity Test Kit is 99.99$ and it usually ships within 24 hours after your order has been placed.
Choosing The Best Paternity Test Kit For Your Needs
Our ultimate guide to the best paternity test kits of 2017 had a not-so-easy task of providing a healthy mix of various testing options currently available on the market. This guide can do a lot of things for you, but you’ll have to identify your situation for yourself. You’ll have to assess your current needs and use our rankings as a guide to the best solution for those needs.
For example, if you’re a firm believer in futuristic technologies and want to put your money where your belief is, DDC is the right way to go. Their robotics technology, incorporated in every test, will provide a surgical level of precision. On the other hand, if money is tight and you still want reliable results, Paternity Depot and STK are your obvious choices. Their procedures are not as ironed out, but their services will have much smaller of an impact on your home budget. EasyDNA is your top option if you’re looking for a truly international company. Live Well Testing is there if you prefer an e-commerce approach without much hassle and procedures.