After the proliferation of commercial DNA testing, the top companies in the field also started focusing on animal DNA examination, especially canine. Some DNA testing providers have also incorporated feline, avian, equine, and alpaca solutions into their portfolios.
Our guide to the best dog DNA tests of 2017 will enumerate the top ranked companies, according to our extensive list of ranking criteria. It will equip you with the necessary knowledge to make a completely informed choice that can meet all your needs. This guide is regularly updated, so it can keep up with the latest trends, offers, companies, and discounts on
- Dog-approved, modern testing facility and high-quality tests
- Every test checks over 256 quadrillion genetic combinations
- Possible raw DNA data download and Embark app for your phone
- Multitude of canine DNA tests and dog wellness equipment
- A Petnostics App monitors and alerts you of health changes
- Better Business Bureau awarded the company with A+ rating
- Constantly updated Dog Breed Identification Testing
- Dog DNA testing without the mother's sample available
- 99.99% accuracy of the DNA tests and affordable prices
- Constantly upgraded and improved high-quality animal tests
- DNA test for canine breeders cover around 250 dog breeds
- Budget-friendly, free shipping, user satisfaction guarantee
- Abundance of tests aimed at dogs, cats, horses, and birds
- State-of-the-art laboratory with robotics technology
- Numerous international partnerships and accreditations
Ranking Criteria Explained
This section provides insight into some of our most important ranking factors. Therefore, the list is not exhaustive, but a general outline of our ranking process.
Our strongest points of interest include the following:
- Test variety
- The overall quality of the testing facility and equipment
- Staff professionalism and skill
- Level of accreditation
- Available partnerships with relevant institutions, veterinarians, animal clinics, and similar
- Accuracy of the tests
- Number of checked DNA markers
- Quantum of the checked breeds, genetic diseases, and potential physical traits
- Test failure and error possibility
- Turnaround time
- User support quality and refund policies
- Payment and shipping options
- Availability of discounts and coupons
- Possibility of results transfer and raw data download
The unofficial ranking criterion is how much companies give back to the dogs in need. We gather that information by going over their known charity efforts and partnerships with veterinarian clinics and animal shelters.
Embark is a successful startup, put in motion by brothers Adam and Ryan Boyko, two prominent scientists and genetics aficionados. It’s the youngest company on our list by far, being founded in 2016. Embark features a detailed canine DNA test with over 256 quadrillion genetic combinations tested. They process the samples in a modern lab and allow for raw data download.
Embark has partnered with the Cornell University of Veterinary Medicine and the ever-present Scientific Advisory Board. On top of that, they engage in numerous research projects and do charity work whenever given the opportunity. Every test bought from Embark brings a bit of money to several shelters they’re co-operating with.
The main test is called Embark Dog DNA Test and here’s what it offers for the price of 199$:
- Breed identification and ancestry research, cross-referencing your dog’s DNA with over 150 dog breeds, including village dog, coyote, and wolf heritage.
- Health report, examining more than 150 most common genetic canine diseases.
- Genetic age, allowing you to “translate” your dog’s age into human years.
- Detailed care and wellness recommendation, based on your dog’s genetic age.
- Perfect accuracy, with over 200,000 DNA markers checked.
Embark also offers a DNA test specifically designed for breeders. For the price of 179$ (special discounts for bulk purchases), you can learn how to breed your litter for a specific size, coat color/texture, and so on. There is also a special offer for veterinarians who choose to sell Embark tests in their clinics. Embark provides a decent profit margin and life-long plans for new clients.
Live Well Testing Review
Live Well Testing is an e-commerce branch of Confirm BioSciences, stationed in San Diego. It offers a plethora of canine DNA testing solutions and a certain amount of dog wellness kits and equipment.
Some of the canine tests available:
- Canine HealthCheck – Dog Genetic DNA Disease & Trait Test – For the price of 129.99$, your dog is checked for over 150 dog traits and diseases. The results take within 7-10 days and will be displayed on your account.
- Petnostics Urine Home Test Kit – The test examines the overall health of your pet. The price is 10.99$ and the results are available instantly.
- PetConfirm Canine Value Pack – It screens for infections of the urinary tract, kidney failure, and diabetes. The price of the test is 29.99$ and the results are complete within 2 minutes.
- Canine Parvovirus/Coronavirus Antigen Home Test Kit – Discovers pathogenic strains of canine Coronavirus and Parvovirus. The test was released on 31st of May 2017 and the price is 19.99$.
- Perfect Pet Fecal Worm Home Detection Kit – Discovers hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, and coccidia. The price is 33.99$ and the results are available 24 hours upon sample receipt.
Live Well Testing also provides tests for heartworms, Ehrlichia, and Lyme, as well as kits and strips for glucose level monitoring. They also ship their merchandise worldwide, so you can order it from pretty much any part of the globe. On top of frequent discounts and coupons, Live Well Testing also holds a price match policy, which means they’ll match any lower price for the same product as theirs.
EasyDNA is the most international company on our list, sporting 25 offices in different regions of the world. This makes their canine DNA tests the most accessible ones on the market. They currently boast more than 300,000 tests executed, complementing high-quality service with knowledgeable user support. EasyDNA offers 6 different canine tests, which check 21 DNA markers, ensuring 99.9999% precision.
Canine DNA tests available at EasyDNA include the following:
- Dog DNA Testing Without the Mother – Canine parentage testing without the mother’s sample is much more complex and difficult, but EasyDNA offers this possibility nonetheless. The price is 306$ and the average turnaround time is 10 business days.
- DNA My Dog Breed Test – This test allows you to identify the genetic combination of your mixed breed dog. The price is 79$ and the results are usually complete within 2-3 weeks. Note that the entire dog’s genome is tested, so the results might not reflect its current appearance.
- Dog Breed Identification Test – This examination takes the guesswork out of the equation and gives you precise confirmation of your dog’s breed. The price tag is 79$ and the results arrive after 3 weeks.
- Dog Parentage Test – Establishes your dog’s parentage in a definitive manner. The price is 198$ and the results come in 10 business days.
- Dog Inherited Disease & Trait Test – EasyDNA tests your dog for diseases and traits specific to its breed. The price is 75$ and the results are complete in 7 business days.
- Dog Poop DNA Testing – Their only price-on-request product is more aimed at identifying irresponsible owners than anything else. As such, it is not of interest to our current topic.
Wisdom Panel Review
Founded in 2005, Wisdom Panel is the sub-operative of Mars Petcare, a division of Mars Incorporated. Confusing as the company structure may be, the only thing that interests us is the fact that Wisdom Panel has one of the 6 biggest private companies in the world behind it. The company specializes in DNA tests for canines and felines, but they’re constantly expanding their program, so we’re sure we can expect more solutions in the future.
Wisdom Panel has performed over 800,000 tests so far, has over 12,000 samples in their database, and covers 99% of the 180 breeds recognized by the AKC. They even go approximately 70 dog breeds beyond that. They also have multiple partnerships in the field including Washington State University, Genoscoper Laboratories Finland, Geneseek, Waltham, Morris Animal Foundation, Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, and more.
Wisdom Panel currently offers 3 animal DNA tests:
- Wisdom Panel 4.0 – The price tag is 84.99$, with a turnaround time between 2-3 weeks. It can be performed on purebred, mixed breed, and designer dogs. The results provide purebred ancestry identification (3 generations), weight profile prediction, info on physical traits, MDR1 genetic mutations, and the possibility of Exercise-Induced Collapse.
- Optimal Selection Canine Genetic Breeding Analysis – The price is 129.99$, with 3-4 weeks turnaround time. The results provide a full genetic disease report (among 150 conditions), reports on morphology, coat properties, and other traits, a personal dog profile you can share, a breeder tool for identifying compatible mates, and constant updates to the results.
- Optimal Selection Feline Genetic Breeding Analysis – The new addition to Wisdom Pan326el differs from the canine variety only in price (99.99$) and the number of genetic diseases screened (30).
Wisdom Panel 2.0 and 3.0 can now only be purchased through online retailers.
DDC Veterinary Review
DDC Veterinary is a division of DDC, one of the largest private laboratories for DNA testing. The father conglomerate was founded in 1995 in Fairfield, Ohio, which gave it ample time to hone its service quality and staff professionalism. They are the first (and only) laboratory to implement robotics technology into their testing processes.
DDC features a multitude of international partnerships and accreditations (AABB, ANAB ISO/IEC 17025, ASCLD/LAB -International, College of American Pathologists, New York State Department of Health, and others). Every test is executed twice and overseen and reviewed by a highly-qualified Ph.D.
DDC Veterinary offers a wide assortment of animal DNA tests including the following species:
- Alpaca (DDC is the official DNA testing provider for Association of Alpaca Owners, located in Lincoln, Nebraska)
Canine DNA tests are by far the most sought after, so we’ll enumerate DDC’s offer in that regard:
- Wisdom Panel 3.0 Breed Identification Test – The test can be performed on purebred, mixed breed, and designer dogs. It identifies 3 generations of ancestry and helps you create a personal wellness plan for your dog. The price is 79$ plus shipping.
- Canine DNA Parentage Test – The price of the test is 38$ per sample plus shipping and it determines and certifies the parentage of the litter.
- Canine DNA Profiling/Genotyping – Personalized profiling of the dog costs 38$ per sample plus shipping. It checks 16 genetic markers in the dog’s genome.
- Canine Inherited Disease Tests – Your dog is tested for the genetic presence of 10 different inherited diseases. The price is 58$ plus shipping.
- Inherited Traits Testing – Test subject is tested for 7 inherited traits. The price tag is 58$ plus shipping.
Choosing The Best Dog DNA Test For Your Needs
This review of the best dog DNA tests of 2017 presented a healthy mix of companies dedicated to animal testing. Our demanding criteria were met by all of the providers on the list and they are only separated by nuances in service quality and other areas.
So, depending on your specific needs, every company will be a perfect choice in some instances. For example, if you’re worried about international shipping and available support, EasyDNA will meet every requirement there with its 25 offices scattered across the globe. If you’re also interested in avian or equine DNA testing, DDC Veterinary offers those possibilities. If, however, you want a 100% canine-focused company, Embark and Wisdom Panel are the way to go. Wisdom Panel did recently add a feline Optimal Selection test, but their main focus still lies with canine DNA testing. Live Well Testing is the supreme choice for anybody who hasn’t really made up their mind yet and wants to see all of the options gathered in one place. It’s also a “hybrid” company where you can order tests for yourself and your pets in a single swoop. On top of that, they also offer testing solutions for making sure your environment is up to standard.
Our research team at Top 10 DNA Tests presented you with a suitable option for every opportunity, you just need to identify your specific needs and look for the best company to meet them. For detailed information on separate companies, you can always go to our dedicated reviews of best DNA testing companies.